SUBCULTURAL-STYLES  April 2010

SUBCULTURAL-STYLES April 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Moral Panic about Heavy Metal music and Youth, Again!

Andy Brown <[log in to unmask]>

List for study of youth style subcultures <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Apr 2010 02:01:05 +0100

text/plain

Egyptian Heavy Metal Fans Reject Accusations Of Satan Worship, Collaboration With Zionism - Mar. 31, 2010

The following excerpts are from an interview with heavy metal fans in Egypt which aired on Egypt's Dream 2 TV in February-March, 2010. (See video at this location<http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/2437.htm>.)

Interviewer: You like heavy metal music, but unfortunately, you have to deal with many misconceptions in our society, which views you, at times… Let's be frank, people call you Satan worshippers. I am sure you've heard this. I was surprised to hear that some of your parties have developed into a national security issue.

Nirmin Magdi, fine arts student: Heavy metal is just music. It has nothing to do with Satan worshipping.

Bassem Ali, student of pharmaceutics: I would like to say something. It's better to play guitar or have a hobby than watch porn films on the Internet.

Karim 'Ammad, student of hotel management: Instead of accusing us of worshipping Satan or whatever, they should talk to us and try to understand the way we think.

Tuhami Muntasir, former advisor to the Mufti of Egypt: It has become clear that this is being funded, and that it is sponsored organized Zionist activity. They get money from various sources — maybe from Cyprus, maybe from Israel… What they do at their parties…

Interviewer: Do you get money from any source?

Karim 'Ammad: If we did, would we be in such a poor state? What money? This is the first time I'm hearing this claim.

Tuhami Muntasir: I am talking about confessions of people who were caught…

Karim 'Ammad: What you said sums it up. You're talking about the past. Today there's nothing…

Tuhami Muntasir: I am talking about confessions of people who were caught… I am not done yet.

Bassem Ali: Go ahead, finish.

Tuhami Muntasir: Let me tell you that the phenomenon that we are witnessing right now is a clear manifestation of a well-funded Zionist campaign, which is based on a "constitution" — The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. With your permission, I am not done yet. Protocols of the Elders of Zion — that founding constitution… What does Zionism want to accomplish? You are an intellectual, and you know this. It wants to rule the world.

Interviewer: Let's be reasonable.

Tuhami Muntasir: It wants to rule the world. Let me finish. It wants to rule the world. Zionism has means to do so, and it has priorities. The Zionists say: We will establish clubs and we will draw people, who have certain characteristics and who are willing to collaborate, and we will bring them to the top of the pyramid…

Interviewer: But they are not spies…

Tuhami Muntasir: The third priority of the Elders of Zion is drug trafficking, and facilitating the spread of abomination, so that societies become enslaved to their desires and urges…

Interviewer: Let's return to the heavy metal fans…

Tuhami Muntasir: That way, the countries will collapse with no need to resort to weapons. Ruling the world is the real and stated goal of global Zionism.

Interviewer: The question that needs to be asked is what this has to do with these young people, who like heavy metal music, wear these clothes, and perform these rites?

Tuhami Muntasir: How can they say they like heavy metal, if they haven't listened to Umm Kulthum, Abd Al-Halim Hafez, Farid Al-Atrash, Amr Diab, and all the other singers? This is beyond the question of whether you like this music or not. This has become an ideology. There is an organized ideology aimed at alienating and dissolving one's identity.

Bassem Ali: This is a form of art, just like cinema. Don't make me repeat myself. It is a form of art that expresses emotion. It is a hobby. If you want to listen to heavy metal — go ahead, but what's this got to do with Satan? You'd think they sit around in talk shows and discuss how to improve the religion, while we are busy worshipping Satan? The hell with Satan! To hell with Satan! To hell with all satans — from the tiniest one around to the minister of all satans! I say to hell with Satan. Who would curse the one he worships?!

Tuhami Muntasir: The answer to that is their mouths say things that are not in their hearts.

Bassem Ali: My God! Why do you say that? Do you doubt what's in my heart?

If this is a Zionist conspiracy, it has failed. No one can influence us. We've been brought up on Islam and its principles.

A five-minute song will never lead you to make a crucial decision in your life. If you are too lazy to get up in the morning, you listen to a song and it gives you the energy to go to work. It does not make you commit suicide or spread corruption. Crucial decisions like that are motivated by the general situation. A person studies for 20 years, gets diplomas, and can't find work.

Watch video footage of the above discussion at Memri<http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/2437.htm> TV<http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/2437.htm>.

Many thanks to my US colleague, Deena Weinstein for this material.

*********
Dr. Andy R. Brown
Senior Lecturer in Media Communications
Department of Film and Media Production
School of Humanities and Cultural Industries
Bath Spa University
Newton Park
Newton St. Loe
Bath