JiscMail Logo

Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  April 2010

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER April 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Your AERA paper

"Alan Rayner (BU)" <[log in to unmask]>

Practitioner-Researcher <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Apr 2010 10:33:47 +0100

text/plain

Dear Joan and Jack,

I think this view of 'appropriacy' is very significant, especially in
relation to the 6 listed criteria.

As far as verbal language is concerned, I think it is not so much the
language itself that is the problem, but the way it is used in witting or
unwitting support of an intransigent worldview that is inappropriate.

Here is a sentence from some recent correspondence with someone whose
appreciation of 'empathetic resonance' I hold in high regard:

"I can also feel that you are already helping me with my propensity to try
and make usual -- that is, 'thing-ified language be the bearer of fluidity,
which results in people understanding me but not knowing what I am saying."

Below is pasted a section from my draft keynote paper appertaining to the
appropriate and inappropriate use of language.

Warmest

Alan

--------------------------

Overcoming Linguistic Definition: The fluid logic and language of natural
inclusion

Just as a river is both shaped by and re-shapes the landscape through which
it flows, so our human use of verbal language to communicate with one
another about what we are observing, thinking, feeling and imagining is both
influenced by and influences our worldview. Language can hence both confine
and liberate us. It can reinforce the deep entrenchment of habit that cannot
break out of the familiarity of its past enterprise. It can also help to
locate and open up the escape channel that enables a shift of course.

 With the development of inclusional concepts, a new logic and principle of
the 'included middle' emerges in which the inhabitant is a fluid expression
of the habitat, not a rigidly definable exception from it, as the worldview
of objective rationality would have us believe. Content simultaneously forms
from and responsively gives expression to the receptive spatial pool that it
fluid dynamically includes and is included in; the inhabitant transforms the
habitat and vice versa as inseparable but distinguishable aspects of one
including the other, nested over all scales from microcosm to cosmos.
Understanding inclusional flow entails the dynamic relational,
space-including, local-non-local logic of 'somewhere distinct as a dynamic
informational inclusion of everywhere spatial throughout', not solely the
local logic of discrete, opposing, material objects.

So, what kind of language can best communicate this new, fluid logic and
principle that recognises dynamic distinction but not rigid definition and
so calls into question so much of our familiar way of thinking in terms of
discrete whole objects and sequential cause and effect? Clearly, any
language which originates in rationalistic logic will reinforce that logic
and so tend to be inconsistent with and to obscure inclusional meaning. This
problem may be deepened if the role played by the narrowed down focus of our
left brain hemisphere in the production and comprehension of verbal language
comes to predominate over the more intuitive, all-round awareness yielded
through our right brain hemisphere (McGilchrist, 2009). If we are not very
careful, verbal language is very liable to entrap us unimaginatively in
'tunnel vision' and to lose imaginative 'circumspection' (cf. Fig. 3.). But
we need inclusionally also to be careful not to allow our awareness of this
problem to lead us to disown verbal language and get caught forever instead
in the trap of meditative paralysis where nothingness and blissful inaction
prevail. Words and action are interdependent, both vital to our human
co-creative potential as social flow-forms inhabiting a common hearth.

For me, awareness of this problem in itself suggests its solution: to be
prepared to loosen the definition of verbal language in ways that allow it
to come alive and attune dynamically with our continually transforming
evolutionary circumstances. A living, evolutionary logic needs a living,
evolutionary language if it is not to tie itself up in knots of paradoxical
inconsistency. This language needs to bring the focused and circumspect
perceptions of left and right hemisphere together through the communication
channel of the corpus callosum that includes each in the other's influence,
not to drive them apart through intransigent neglect and severance.

What this means in practice is learning to use language poetically, to evoke
meanings and acknowledge dynamic distinctions, not literally to impose
abstract definitions on natural flow-form. This is why I have come to use
language with very great care, seeking to avoid the pitfalls into the
totalizing definitions of both reductive and holistic thought whilst
recognizing as well the co-creative complementary contributions such thought
can bring to human understanding when brought into dynamic synthesis. Of
course I recognize that this is not easy. It is never easy to break deeply
embedded habits. I struggle to find the expressions that consistently convey
my meaning, whilst not departing utterly from the familiarity of past usage.
I am frequently accused of esotericism, of trying to hide my meanings behind
a smokescreen of jargon - which is as far from my real intention as it could
be. I am frequently accused, if I point out the rationalistic implications
of familiar expressions, of trying to impose my language on others - which
again is as far from my real intention as it could be. I am merely trying to
invite consideration of what kind of language is consistent with natural
inclusional meaning, and offering the best that I can at the time of writing
or speaking, always prepared to change this if a more effective expression
surfaces that doesn't simply re-entrap in rationalistic imagery. This is a
great challenge for me, and, I suggest, a great challenge for us if we are
to overcome our language impediment and make our living educational theory
and practice more naturally inclusional.