Re: Phasing statistics

MARTYN SYMMONS <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:32:12 +0000

text/plain

Sorry - I had not twigged that this was a SAD discussion.

In this case DM is as you say gonna save you from bimodal ambiguities - as we all know that is why the FOMs get so much better during DM - but that seems fine to me as it is pretty much new information coming in from the solvent flattening, histogram matching, probably some averaging.

So that improvement is not 'artifactual' but in fact part of the experimental detail of just how the structure was solved. I guess FOMs are really only useful in the Crick and Blow centroid case.

Still think any and all info on the experiment(s) is useful to see - if only for people to plan their own experiments building on past experience.

Best wishes and regards
    Martyn

Martyn Symmons
Cambridge

----- Original Message ----
From: Ian Tickle <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 14 April, 2010 15:42:51
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Phasing statistics

I have to say that I don't share James' enthusiasm for the FOM as a
useful statistic, even for experimental phases, and particularly not
in the SAD (and SIR) cases, which after all is what this thread is
supposed to be about.   This is even without delving further into the
murky issues of wildly inflated FOM estimates from DM that he and
others have raised.

My point is that the definition of FOM is that it's the *expected*
cos(phase error), as opposed to *actual* cos(phase error) and the
'expected' bit makes all the difference!  It's essentially the
difference between precision and accuracy, i.e. the FOM tells you how
precise the phase estimate is and not at all how accurate it is: for
the latter you need to calculate the errors relative to the phases of
the final model, as James suggested.  The FOM is roughly related
(anti-correlated to be precise) to the variance: this is clear if we
take the case of small phase deviations, then <cos(x)> expands to
<(1-x^2/2)> and the variance is <x^2>, where x is the deviation from
the mean (NOT the same thing as the error!).  So just like the
variance it measures the 'peakedness' of the distribution: a FOM=1
corresponds to variance=0, i.e. an infinitely sharp distribution
(delta function).

Now a particular problem arises in SAD (and SIR) because then in
general we always get a bimodal distribution: i.e. 2 separate peaks.
If these peaks happen to separated by 180 deg then the FOM is 0
(cos(90)=0).  A large separation is most likely to occur when the
anomalous contribution is large, when of course you expect the phase
estimates to be optimal, for example see Fig 2(a) in Wang et al., Acta
Cryst. (2007). D63, 751–758.  Conversely if the anomalous contribution
is small, so the phase estimates are poor, the separation between the
2 estimates is small and the FOM is close to 1!  So we apparently have
a situation where the *better* are the phases, the *lower* is the FOM!
What the Figure in the Wang paper ignores of course are the
experimental errors which will tend to broaden the distribution and
lower the FOM in the case where the anomalous contribution is small
relative to the errors.  Even so it means that the FOM is not a good
measure of phase quality.  Much better IMO is the phasing power (mean
heavy-atom amplitude / mean P-weighted lack of closure error).  This
essentially measures the degree to which the phase ambiguity is
capable of being successfully resolved by DM methods.

One other thing puzzles me: why do many programs that purport to
calculate average phase differences (relative to model phases say) use
statistics such as, well, average |phase difference| when we already
have a perfectly good measure in the FOM!, i.e. average cos(phase
difference)?  Then you would be able to directly compare the FOMs from
experimental phases with those from model phases.  Even better still
would be the average log likelihood: if the phase probability is exp(A
cos(delta_phi)) then the log likelihood is simply A cos(delta_phi) and
you just average that, i.e. it's essentially the averaged FOM-weighted
cos(phase difference), so that the average is weighted according to
the reliability of the phase estimates.  A poor phase estimate is
likely to be associated with a small F which is not going to
contribute much to the map anyway, so it makes no sense to give poor
phases the same weight as good phases in the average.

Cheers

-- Ian