Re: OPEN MUSEUMS

Gordana Novakovic <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:16:09 +0000

text/plain

Hello all,

I don’t think that performing art can offer us a real solution, but
might be interesting to look at what is going on there and at Marina
Abramovic ideas of preserving performance art. The following extract
is from the NYTimes in relation to her latest MoMa show - full article

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/arts/design/14performance.html?sq=marina%20abramovic&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=5&adxnnlx=1268748047-SpmW2+kxsUKIr302hkbOSA

>And as the talk turned to money, the acid splashed back toward Mr. Sehgal, who in his brief career — he is just 34 — has started an approach to selling performance art that is both providing museums with a new way to take ownership of it and enriching himself. In the past, performance artists have often sold photographic or video documentation of performances, say, or props and other artifacts left over after the events. But Mr. Sehgal is believed to be the first to have sold the rights to the performance itself; MoMA, for one, recently spent a reported $70,000 for an edition of “Kiss” (2004), a living sculpture that was on loan to the Guggenheim for the recent show and that requires its performers to stay locked for hours in a continuous, balletic embrace.

“Can you tell me how you did this?” Ms. Abramovic asked in her heavily
accented English, seeming genuinely interested. “Is really something I
want to know.”<

full article
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/arts/design/14performance.html?sq=marina%20abramovic&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=5&adxnnlx=1268748047-SpmW2+kxsUKIr302hkbOSA

best regards