Re: Advice on persuading authors

Hugh Glaser <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:07:20 +0000

text/plain

Dear Arthur,
I think that is a good document for repository owners.
Some great advice in there, and nicely put.
Actually, I think I was (also) looking for something more along the lines of
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/documents/15concerns.html
but perhaps appealing to an even baser instinct! – that it will make life easier.

Perhaps list members would like to offer any such advice, hopefully based on experience?
I would guess the Sherpa people are watching.
Here are a couple from me that might help:

On metadata entry:
"I haven't got the time to put all that in - I publish 5/50/500 papers a year".
I can see your concern, but there seems to be a misunderstanding here.
*You* don't have to put all the data in.
How many of your papers are single author?
For the rest, you can rely on your co-authors entering the data for many of them, especially if you are a senior researcher; if you are a supervisor, you can certainly rely on your postgraduates doing the work for you on their papers. In fact you will find you need to spend less time managing your publications, as you can then export the entries to your own system.
You may well find that you never have to enter anything, as your co-authors will do it for you.

On full-text deposit.
"I don't have the full text to deposit - my researcher submitted it."
It's a real problem when you don't have the text of one of your papers because your research/grad student didn't give you it (or you have it somewhere in your email folder or hard disk).
It's much better if your co-author or you deposited the text in a repository, so it is managed for you, and always accessible to you.

Best
Hugh