DIS-FORUM  March 2010

DIS-FORUM March 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Query about Educational Psychologists and their remit

"Cowling, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>

Cowling, Mark

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:34:52 +0000

text/plain

My experience as a basically happy user of Dragon is closer to David Baxter-Williams than to the more sanguine comments made by others. In my experience it also introduces a layer of complications: words which are intended as part of the text can get interpreted as computer commands, and there can be complications with sound cards and microphones in addition to those already indicated. And it takes a long time to get used to the sort of proofreading that is needed. Just as one example, I teach a module on sexual violence and sexual crime, and the program will keep telling students that they need to produce a 'presentation right up' as part of their assessment.

I would like to introduce an extra question: because my wife is deaf we watch live events on the television with subtitles. These are produced very rapidly and, although they are not perfect, the quality is better than I would have expected with Dragon and assorted lecturers at a distance. I would be interested to know how this is done? If the solution is a purely technological one, is it one that we could imitate in some way?

Dr Mark Cowling
Professor of Criminology and Marxism
SSSL, University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, TS1 3BA Tel +44 (0)1642 342338; SSSL Office 342315; Fax: 342399
Home: 8, Thackeray Grove, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough TS5 7QX +44 (0)1642 281927
This message has been produced using voice dictation software. If it is mad or insulting this is probably the result of my faulty proofreading. Try substituting another word which sounds similar, or possibly the opposite!