ALLSTAT  March 2010

ALLSTAT March 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: allstat Digest - 28 Feb 2010 to 1 Mar 2010 (#2010-58)

Social Medicine Short Course <[log in to unmask]>

Social Medicine Short Course <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:36:33 +0000

text/plain

Thank you I will look out for it.

Carol

--On 02 March 2010 00:00 +0000 allstat automatic digest system
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Boosting Trees
>   2. ONLINE SHORT COURSE: WarpPLS: NONLINEAR PLS path modeling software
>   3. Job: Reader/Lecturer in Statistics, Durham University: closing date
> soon   4. CONTRACT: Expert Statistician - Respiratory - UK or Switzerland
>   5. Invitation to STOR-i Doctoral Training Centre Open Day, 17th March
> 2010   6. New contract opportunity
>   7. SAS Oversight Programmer / Lead Programmer
>   8. COURSE REMINDER: Microarray R course at Imperial College
>   9. Contract Statistics role in Switzerland - Up to CHF 900  / ?550 per
> day  10. PSI Conference - Early Bird Deadline Reminder
>
> You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
>
> SIGNOFF allstat
>
> to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.

> Date:    Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:04:19 -0500
> From:    Lars Chi <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Boosting Trees
>
> Dear Experts,
>
> I=92m trying to understand how correlated predictors impact the Relative
> Importance measure in Stochastic Boosting Trees (J. Friedman).  As
> Friedman described =93 =85with single decision trees (referring to
> Brieman=92s CART algorithm), the relative importance measure is augmented
> by a strategy involving surrogate splits intended to uncover the masking
> of influential variables by others highly associated with them. This
> strategy is most helpful with single decision trees where the opportunity
> for variables to participate in splitting is limited by the size of the
> tree. In the context of Boosting, however, the number of splitting
> opportunities is vastly increased, and surrogate unmasking is less
> essential=94.
> Based on the results from the simulated example below (in R), if I have,
> sa= y
> two variables which are highly correlated, then the relative importance
> measure derived from Boosting will tend to be high for one of the
> predictor= s
> and low for the other.  I=92m trying to reconcile this observation with
> Friedman=92s description above, which according to my understanding,
> these = two
> variables should have about the same measure of importance. I'll
> appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance!
>

> require(gbm)
> require(MASS)
># Generate multivariate random data such that X1 is moderetly correlated by
> X2, strongly
># correlated with X3, and not correlated with X4 or X5.
> cov.m <-
> matrix(c(1,0.5,0.9,0,0,0.5,1,0.2,0,0,0.9,0.2,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1),5
> ,5= ,
> byrow=3DT)
> n <- 2000 # obs
> X <- mvrnorm(n, rep(0, 5), cov.m)
> [...]