Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Moodle Development Plan 2010

Roger Emery <[log in to unmask]>

Moodle in UK Higher Education <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:37:04 +0000

text/plain

Here at Solent hope hangs on versions and availability so final decisions
are waiting until April.

Summer 2010

Hope: Upgrade to Moodle Version 2.0
Reality: July too late to impliment so await 2011
Thoughts: We have got a second server/service coming online for a small
number of courses - this may see 2.0 first - if we're brave enough.

Hope: Turnitin deep integration
Reality: Still testing, but looking hopeful
Thoughts: Current 'turnitin in a frame' integration is a little buggy and
un-customisable, new integration hopefully solves this.

Hope: Mahara
Reality: Pilot going very well
Thoughts: need to sort business end - support, server space, alumni
access, may be a soft roll-out, pending management decisions.

Hope: Much improved Moodle integration with business systems (student
records etc etc)
Reality: ICT project up and running, loads to do, but going in the right
direction
Thoughts: Its the humans! There are sooo many exceptions to the 'rule'  of
how people want to use moodle, that building something flexible enough,
but automated is going to be difficult.

Hope: Summer housekeeping made easy - maybe this year we'll find a better
(less manual) way!!
Reality: It'll never be easy (see above, humans/exceptions to rules)
Thoughts: Life Long Learners - how long should we keep this stuff? in what
format? with what access?

Hope: TELSTAR for reading lists etc
Reality: Going to be beta testing along with some other solutions
Thoughts: Going to need some work as its developed for postgres and we're
mysql

Not only, but also... a hundred and one other projects that need to be
done too!

Looks like we're all facing similar challenges.....

Roger Emery
Learning Systems Developer

Learning Technology Unit (LTU)
Southampton Solent University
East Park Terrace
Southampton
Hampshire
SO14 0YN

Telephone: +44 (0)23 80319778
Fax: +44 (0)23 8022 2259
Email: [log in to unmask]

"Pope, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Moodle in UK Higher Education <[log in to unmask]>
01/02/2010 13:00
Please respond to
Moodle in UK Higher Education <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Moodle Development Plan 2010

Hi Fiona,

We?ve just been revising our course management policy based around the
idea of a Moodle course space lifecycle and I?m the process of writing
this up for our internal stakeholders.  Once it?s been reviewed and
approved I?m sure we should be able to share  with this community and
perhaps present something on it at the MoodleMoot.

In essence we found that:

·         Staff and Students were confused if we kept older courses in
Moodle for a long period and often kept going to older courses rather than
the current instance of the course.
·         We?ve developed an academic course lifecycle whereby a course is
active for a year, archived for a year (read only but available in Moodle
to those who participated in the course), then removed from Moodle but the
database records and content are stored in file store for a further five
years before being destroyed.
·         We?re starting to create courses for a new academic year earlier
in the previous session to give academics more time to prepare course
material.
·         We made some changes to the Course List Block so that a user?s
list of courses are grouped by categories with the current academic year
courses at the top, then academic support courses, then archived copies of
previous year?s courses.  Each course also has a different coloured disc
as an icon (green for current courses, grey for archived courses) to make
the most current courses the most prominent.

Regards,
Alison