CCP4BB  January 2010

CCP4BB January 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Refining against images instead of only reflections

Colin Nave <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:16:28 -0000

text/plain

 James
Some comments!
>The diffuse scatter does NOT tell you about the
> deviations from this average; it tells you how the deviations
> are correlated from unit cell to unit cell.
Does this just refer to the scatter near the Bragg peaks? If there is no correlation from unit cell to unit cell then the diffuse scatter (between rather than near the Bragg peaks) should provide structural information about the disordered entity (e.g. whole protein displacements or just a side chain). This could of course be static disorder rather than motion.

> trying to do this).  But I think what WOULD be a major step
> forward is handling overlaps more
> intelligently:
Yes, but having a realistic model of the crystal imperfections would assist in this

> Refining against pixels or not, a program that could be used
> equally well for powder, single crystal or clusters of
> crystals, would definitely be nice!
I agree!

> coming out the other end is hkl and F.  The "R factor Gap"
> between Rmerge and Rcryst/Rfree does not come from
> measurement errors, it comes from our inability to accurately
> model the average electron density in a unit cell.
Probably true. However if there were two (or more) distinctly different but highly ordered crystals (e.g. different unit cell dimensions) in the specimen then one would like to pick these out and refine the two structures independently.

Regards
   Colin