AAHPN  January 2010

AAHPN January 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Op-Ed Columnist - A Less Than Honest Policy - NYTimes.com

"Jost, Timothy" <[log in to unmask]>

Jost, Timothy

Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:19:11 -0500

text/plain

I would guess that the issue on which the beliefs of economists are most at variance with the beliefs of most Americans is that of who pays for employee health insurance.  I am at least partially on the side of the ignorant populace on this one.  Although I understand the economic argument, and although I even understand that there is empirical evidence for it, I simply cannot believe that if tomorrow the government took over providing health insurance to all Americans, every insured employee in the country would get a raise at anything approximating what employers are now spending on health insurance.  I just think the world is more complicated than that, and that it is much more likely, with 10% unemployment, that prices of some products would go down, profits would go up in some sectors, and the income of some employees would rise, and, perhaps, eventually, the income of more employees would go up.

What I have the hardest time believing, however, is that the income of the lowest wage workers would go up.  If someone is now earning $10 an hour right now to, say, sweep the floor in a major corporation, and the corporation is providing the employee family coverage that costs, say $6.00 an hour, is it possible the company would raise the employee's wages by $6.00 an hour to compensate for the loss of health insurance?  Why would it do this when there are probably a hundred people who would take the sweeping job tomorrow at $10.50 an hour?  My guess as a non-economist is that employers provide health insurance to high income workers because the labor market demands it, and that they provide health insurance to low wage workers because the law does not permit self-insured employers or employers with cafeterira plans to discriminate in favor of high-income workers in providing health insurance (and will soon prohibit insured employers from doing so as well) and because they don't want to look bad.  Alternatively, they contract out low wage work to companies that do not provide health benefits.

In any event, it seems to me that employment-related health insurance has allowed a form of cross-subsidization, where employers have been willing to insure lower-wage employees who could never have afforded health insurance to retain higher-wage employees.  The alternative was never Canada, or even Germany, it was everyone for him or herself in the nongroup market, where the poor would have been universally uninsured (or paid high prices for lousy policies with very low MLRs).  I am ready to move on from employment-based insurance, but I think it has not been the disaster that some think it has been for the poor.  (Also, it was not the result of wage controls during WWII, a popular myth with no basis in fact, but that is another story).
Tim

Timothy Stoltzfus Jost
Robert L. Willett Professor
Washington and Lee University School of Law
(540) 564 2524
(540) 458 8510
(540) 421 1529
fax (540) 458 8488