WORDGRAMMAR  December 2009

WORDGRAMMAR December 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: WG wiki (was Re: [WG] Wave invitation)

Michael Turner <[log in to unmask]>

Word Grammar <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:33:38 +0900

text/plain

Hudson wrote:
> I seem to remember that one of the more trivial issues that we needed to
> sort out when you and I were playing with it during the summer was
> getting ourselves user-names instead of strings of numbers.

That's a non-trivial issue now, actually, because, along with actual user
IDs, we need defined editing permissions and signup procedures.  Wikis
left too long in the open tend to collect spam and vandalism.  At this
point, WG wiki is now in the open.  It's only a matter of time before a
search engine spiders it, and turns it up in searches.

Of course, it's also nice to know who's contributing various changes, for
purposes of discussion.

> Maybe I'll have a go at the default inheritance entry. If I do, I'll
> tell you all on this list.

Um, be careful.  The present caveats on the WG wiki home page still apply:
if you make a change to any article on the WG wiki corresponding to one in
your Encyclopedia, my next set of fixes in the conversion process from
your Encyclopedia to PMWiki format will overwrite the changes.  And I
really should put in a few more fixes to that batch conversion process.

Even though it's tedious "meta-discussion",and "not real work", I think
doing things in roughly the order I suggested below will make the process
of getting started more graceful.

My first suggestion was that we get clear on what it means (legally) to
contribute changes to something that was copyright Richard Hudson -- and
which (legally) still is copyright Richard Hudson, until there's a clear
statement of release from you, and what the new terms are.

I would suggest a license in the Creative Commons family:

  http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/

though perhaps the most restrictive one ("Attribution Non-Commercial No
Derivatives") is the best place to start.  If more looseness turns out to
be OK, you can loosen it later.  But the important thing is to have *some*
explicit statement about what kinds of uses of this material are
legitimate.

Wikipedia allows Creative Commons "Derivatives"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_Attribution-ShareAlike_3.0_Unported_License

But that means anybody can copy Wikipedia and set up their own banner ads
and whatnot, on their copy of it.  It's a common search-engine-spamming
technique (just in case you were wondering why you sometimes find WP
articles -- usually out-of-date -- on other sites, with all kinds of
garbage along with them.)  If the WG wiki ever has ads, I think it's
better to restrict them to more dignified and relevant products, such as
any books or print journals actually cited in the articles.

Regards,
Michael Turner
+81 90 5203 8682
www.tamaryokan.com

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery