LIS-E-RESOURCES  November 2009

LIS-E-RESOURCES November 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Open Access uptake prompts 9% price reduction for The EMBO Journal and EMBO reports

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper <[log in to unmask]>

An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:54:10 +0100

text/plain

Dear colleagues,

The following press release was posted yesterday in the NPG Press Room,
http://www.nature.com/press_releases/emboopen.html

Please see my comments below.

----------------

Open Access uptake prompts 9% price reduction for The EMBO Journal and
EMBO reports

PRESS RELEASE FROM NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP

Contact: Grace Baynes
Corporate Public Relations, Nature Publishing Group
T:+44 (0)20 7014 4063

Prices for site licence access to The EMBO Journal and EMBO reports will
be reduced by 9% in 2010, reflecting the increased publication of Open
Access content in 2008. Nature Publishing Group (NPG) and the European
Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO) announced the decision today,
following ratification by the EMBO Council.

We've taken into account all of the relevant data in reaching this
decision, including the number of Open Access articles published in
2008," said David Hoole, Head of Content Licensing, NPG. "This change
reflects the recent growth in the amount of Open Access content in both
journals and the corresponding partial coverage of publication costs by
author charges."

For the 2010 subscription year, there will be a 9% reduction on the 2009
site licence list price. This reduction is net of an annual inflationary
price increase. Print and personal subscription prices are unaffected.

"We are delighted to be able to offer real savings to our library
customers, based on the hybrid business model," said David Hoole in a
letter to customers. "We hope this helps ease some of the pressure on
library budgets, while increasing access to the academic literature."

For the 2011 subscription year onwards, both the site licence price and
author fees will be considered in an effort to achieve equitable
distribution of the costs of publication. This evaluation will involve
an in-depth review of all factors relevant to the publication process,
including the proportion of Open Access content and authors' ability to
pay for Open Access and other publication-related costs.

NPG publishes and EMBO reports on behalf of EMBO. An Open Access option
on both journals was introduced in January 2007. NPG has implemented
hybrid models across many of its academic journals, and expects those
titles to show price reductions in due course, as the volume of open
access increases.

NPG will be contacting customers individually. Customers who have
already paid for a 2010 subscription should contact their NPG sales
representative or subscription agent to claim an adjustment.

-ENDS-

Related links:

European Molecular Biology Organization announces an option for
author-paid open access articles in The EMBO Journal and EMBO reports
(December 2006)
http://www.nature.com/press_releases/EMBO_open_CCL.pdf

-----------------

A statement like this will not be enough to keep libraries and funders
like the Wellcome Trust from asking NPG for more transparency. As I
wrote in my paper, EMBO and NPG should lay open their cards and make the
financial basis and rational of their calculations transparent.

The netto price reduction with respect to 2009 is 9%, the brutto
reduction, with respect to the originally communicated 2010 list price,
taking into account this year's "annual inflationary price increase" of
4% (fully applied to the print price), is 12,5%. "Inflation", of course,
is taken for granted, even if the journal itself doesn't grow but
reduces its output, as EMBO did.

The price adjustment now announced may reflect "the recent growth in the
amount of Open Access content in both journals and the corresponding
partial coverage of publication costs by author charges", but even if we
buy this logic, the 4% OA uptake in the first year and the corresponding
partial coverage of publication costs by EMBO authors has been ignored
and not passed over as a price reduction to subscribers. This was
clearly "double dipping", and it would have been appropriate to increase
this year's price reduction correspondingly. So we expect and ask NPG
and EMBO to take it into account for next year's price reduction.

On the other hand, EMBO & NPG are anyway clearly not living up to their
promise made upon starting the EMBO Open program in December 2006, when
they told us that the site license price would be adjusted in line with
the amount of content published under the subscription model annually.
(And this is not a mere question of interpretation as NPG is well aware
that they are departing from their original policy, which by the way is
the same as that followed by Springer under their Open Choice program.)

Instead, what research libraries have witnessed since the changeover
from Oxford University Press to NPG, was a price hike by a factor of 2
or above, immediately after takeover, a decision that greatly diminished
institutional access to this journal. This was followed later by a
reduction in published output of about 1/3, in waves, first after
takeover, and then, following a short recovery in 2006, again starting
with 2007, when the journal had gone hybrid. In 2007, initial editorial
rejections went up steeply, rejection rate after peer review was reduced
correspondingly, increasing efficiency and speed of publication whilst
reducing cost. In 2008, the submission rate had decreased as well (by 9%
comp. to 2006). However, instead of passing on part of these substantial
savings to the research libraries, the cost to them have multiplied
through the transfer and stay at that level, with only a marginal
reduction - too late, too little. Articles that are no longer published
in the EMBO journal, invariably end up in other journals (well over 80%
at least) and still have to be paid by the scientific community.

Cost per page for a site license is now around 90 c/p for a typical
large research university. For comparison, cost per page for a site
license to the Journal of Biological Chemistry (ASBMB) is 9 c/p, for
PNAS 11 c/p, for Molecular Biology of the Cell (ASCB) 14 c/p, for
Molecular Biology & Evolution (SMBE, Oxford UP) 21 c/p, for Molecular
and Cellular Biology (ASM) 26 c/p, The Journal of Biochemistry (Oxford
UP) 28 c/p, for RNA and Genes & Development (Cold Spring Harbour
Laboratory Press) 46 c/p resp. 58 c/p, for Journal of Cell Biology
(Rockefeller UP) 60 c/p, for Molecular Cell (Cell Press) a multiple of
the price / page for the print edition, 39 c/p, typically a factor 6
(234 c/p), for Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry (Springer) 277 c/p,
for Nature Cell Biology 311 c/p, for Nature Structural and Molecular
Biology 355 c/p.

We probably could still not complain if the EMBO journal would now
provide clearly better value for money and get cited more than before.
Alas, according to all performance indicators I know of, the EMBO
journal has so far further fallen behind (most journals brag with any
recent increases in impact factor, EMBO does not – guess why...). And
while we wish EMBO all success with its recently implemented changes and
new initiatives, we clearly feel deceived by the failure of EMBO and NPG
to keep up to their promises of 2006. If we had data to actually
calculate revenue per article, we would see that it has risen sharply. I
doubt whether that will convince funders that we see no "double dipping"
occur here; pricing of NPG is and has always been opaque.

Authors are also double paying now, through page and colour charges
*and* EMBO OPEN publication charges on top of that. It is an anachronism
that the EMBO journal and EMBO reports are still produced in print
(according to NPG media data, circulation is 2200 for EMBO Journal, 1000
for EMBO reports), especially that print is subsidized for personal
subscribers at rather low levels (USD 340 for EMBO journal, USD 156 for
EMBO reports), partly through advertising, but also through excessively
priced academic site licenses, while only a few dedicated libraries with
special archival collection duties can afford to main an archival print
copy at 3000 USD (or even 3000 EUR for European customers outside UK) in
addition to a site license. (The add-on cost for an archival print copy
on top of a site license increased from GBP 157 in 2006 to GBP 1878 in
2010, due to “decoupling of print and online”, while the price for a
combined subscription increased by a factor 3 … 5 (or, with the present
12,5% reduction, now 2,75 … 4,5) since 2003, the year before the
takeover by NPG was completed.) So please do away with print in order to
get some real savings that can be passed on to libraries.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library

P.S.: The Author Pays Hybrid Model – FAQs for Librarians and
Subscription Agents (Jan 2009),
What will happen to the subscription prices of these journals in 2009?
Print subscription prices will not be affected. Site license prices will be
adjusted in line with the amount of subscription content published annually
and this will be monitored throughout the year.

I just checked what happened to the print prices for 2010.

“Print subscription prices will not be affected“, the NPG press release
said. At least not in the sense that price increases are moderated. Au
contraire. Apparently, the publisher hedges against possible losses (?)
through the hybrid model by starting with a generous extra price
increase (20%) for print in 2010. This affects 8 NPG owned titles out of
the 12 journals new in the program: CGT, GENE, IJIR, JESEE, JHH, MP,
PCAN, TPJ. Only one other NPG Academic Journal not in the program shows
such a price increase in print for 2010, namely Gene Therapy. Perhaps
this journal is going to join the program for 2010.

Price increases for Print for the other NPG academic journals for 2010
are identical to their site license price increases and range from 2% to
9% (median 4%, average 5%).