Re: US Health Reform

"Marmor, Ted" <[log in to unmask]>

Marmor, Ted

Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:20:36 -0400

text/plain

A helpful account of a genuine political possibility, Joe.

Ted

----- Original Message -----

From: Anglo-American Health Policy Network <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Wed Oct 14 12:31:53 2009
Subject: Re: US Health Reform

A few comments... I wasn't restraining myself before, I just wasn't on e-mail.  But this is it for the day from me!

* Basically I agree with Tim.

* And Ted, re. the public option and its current prospects.

* One real interesting question is what to think of the possibility of states having the authority to do a serious public plan.  This has been proposed as a compromise and, separate from its substantive effects, makes sense for political reasons.  It's harder for conservatives to fulminate against giving states choices, it allows Blue Dog Democrats to say that the public option in their state will only happen if the state's voters want it, so that voting for the provision doesn't violate their districts' views, and so on.  If I'm from Tennessee, it seems to me not so bad to say, "hey, if Vermont wants it, let them try it.  But I negotiated and took a strong stand and made sure nothing would be forced on the good people of our great state."

   If I'm right about that, one question is what that state option should look like. Logically, once it's an option, states should have the authority to do much stronger versions than currently are on the legislative table.  Such as including Medicare enrollees, and using the Medicare rates.  I might well take the strong state option approach over the HELP bill approach, and maybe even the House approach.  But what's needed then are both the provisions that allow that, and a way to make sure states don't get penalized for having more efficient systems.  A state that has a strong public option might have lower insurance premiums which then would lead to lower subsidies!

* One thing that really bothers me about the Baucus design, but was not emphasized by Tim, is the focus of cost containment on Medicare spending.  This is perverse as both policy (why whack providers with disproportionate shares of Medicare patients because costs for other patients are poorly controlled?) and politics (why give Republicans plausible reason to say the bill is financed by cutting the elderly?).

Back to the day-to-day.  Thanks to all for good comments,

Joe White