Re: The Speech

"Robert B. Leflar" <[log in to unmask]>

Robert B. Leflar

Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:42:04 -0500

text/plain

David,

I have no personal knowledge of Rep. Joe Wilson, as you do. (As an Arkansan born and bred, however, I do have some idea of what is thought to be behavior proper to a Southern gentleman.) But Rucker & Gerhart's article in this morning's Washington Post gives a rather different portrayal of Rep. Wilson than the one you offered. The Post article reported Wilson to have "a history of lashing out and later apologizing. In 2002, during a C-SPAN discussion<http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2009/09/joe_wilsons_outbursts_and_apol.html> about Iraq's capabilities for nuclear and biological weapons, Wilson attacked  Rep. Bob Filner<http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/f000116> (D-Calif.) as harboring 'hatred of America' at least four times when Filner suggested Saddam Hussein may have obtained some technologies from the United States. . . ." Then the article goes on to report his various other denunciations and attacks on his political opponents.

I understand that your main point is not about Rep. Wilson's personal nature, but rather about how his outburst on the House floor reflects the degree of resistance in the conservative part of the heartland to Obama and everything about him. We see plenty of that here in Arkansas too. You point out that that sort of resistance may well doom major health reform efforts this year, as it did when the Arkansans were in the White House sixteen years ago.

But there are at least three major differences between the political setting then and now. First, there is a far keener and more prevalent sense that the current health care "system" is not only rife with abuse, but worse, is not giving us our money's worth. Second, it is no longer possible to argue seriously that if nothing is done on costs, health care can be prevented from gobbling up an unacceptably high proportion of the GDP. Third, the Clintons never did a an effective job of "calling out" the misrepresenters and distorters of the facts. Obama is quite capable of doing that, in a way that appeals to the sense of fairness and decency that most American voters possess.

So I share Tim Jost's optimism that some kind of bill has a good chance of enactment this year. But I also share his anxiety that we will need to see evidence of positive results, and soon, for the reform momentum to be sustainable.

Rob Leflar

________________________________

From: Anglo-American Health Policy Network [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Wilsford [[log in to unmask]]

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 10:12 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: The Speech

Hi Ken and others

For the sake of the discussion, I want to register my disagreement with Ken¡¯s analysis in point 2 below.

    First, I do not think that the institutions or public opinion are particularly open to non-incremental health reform now AFTER having gone through non-incremental de facto nationalization of the banking industry, nationalization of the world¡¯s largest insurance company, and nationalization of half the country¡¯s automotive industry.

    In a flat diffuse structure, which is the American politial system, non-incremental is hard to come by under any circumstances.  The chance for something BIG in health care was blown away long ago when all the oxygen was sucked out of the room by the financial crisis, the bail-outs and the faux stimulus package.

    I just do not think that one can overestimate the fatigue of the institutions, the fatigue of the players and the fatigue of public opinion at this point.

    In that regard, Joe Wilson¡¯s outburst ¨C calling the president a liar from the floor, an unbelievable breach -  is analytically interesting, even if socially and protocol-unacceptable:

    I know Joe Wilson; he also represents the district where I grew up in South Carolina, whether I ever voted for him or not.   He is not an outburst kind of guy.  Never, ever has been.   He¡¯s also not a drunk, so you can¡¯t blame it on alcohol.    Why did he suddenly lose it?

    The depth and breadth in certain parts of the country of deep suspicion, even paranoia, about government in the US now suddenly becoming an uncontrollable behemoth, this has re-surged to the fore.   Remember, America was founded on a ¡°keep the government out of our lives¡± moral philosophy.  You might argue that the original incubators of the Cato Institute were in fact the Founding Fathers.

    However the bumps of public opinion may read just after the Speech, over the longer term (weeks and months), there is no public opinion consensus on the specifics of anything that has to be done to reform health care, or even that there is any dire-ness to the problem.

    Recall that we all thought the situation equally dire in 1993/94.  Ted Kennedy himself thought the situation dire in 1971, when he nearly came to a bargain with President Nixon over the issue.

    Still, today:  Nothing.

    Alas, it doesn¡¯t haunt Republicans at all that they ¡°have no solution.¡±  It doesn¡¯t haunt independents either.  It may haunt Democrats, but they, going it alone, cannot non-incremental reform achieve ¨C reconcilation procedure or not.

    More disturbing to me right now is that the focus of the president on big reform in this very thorny area, when no oxygen is left in the room, has distracted him and everyone else from the discrete do-able:   Pass a law making insurance portable from one employer to another and across state lines.   Pass one ensuring that employer-based insurance is kept for 12 months after the employer lets you go and you still haven¡¯t found a new job.  Pass another law banning pre-existing condition exclusions.

    Three ¡°small¡± things right there would begin to the change the game for many individuals in the US now.  That¡¯s the way you start stuff rolling in a flat diffuse porous political system that is structurally hostile to big change.

    Yours

    David