NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  September 2009

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING September 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: September 2009: update and "Real-Time: Showing Art in the Age of New Media"

Curt Cloninger <[log in to unmask]>

Curt Cloninger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Sep 2009 14:13:22 -0400

text/plain

Hi all,

I have to weigh in on this one because it is close to my practice.

It seems to me Fried's distinction between the theatricality of a
phenomenological Judd sculpture and the filled-up/enduring-ness of a
Rothko painting is very much rooted in a polemical argument he was
making that was contingent on his unavoidably limited perspective at
that particular time in history. Yes, a Judd sculpture is indeed
theatrical and "time-based." My walking around it and moving through
space in relationship to it causes it to perform an affective
experience on my body. But arguably the same is true of a big Rothko
painting (particularly a series of Rothko paintings in a
site-specific location) -- if I choose to move through the space I
can cause his painting to perform in a similar (if not the exact
same) way.

Charlie quoting Fried quoting Jonathan Edwards:
"We every moment see the same proof of a God as we should have seen
if we had seen him create the world at first."
Seems very much related to this installation I did called "During The
Beginning," using generative code and video loops to revisit and try
to remain in that instantaneous/eternal creation event (the un-time
during which time was created):
http://www.deepyoung.org/current/genesis/

So here the dialogue could turn theological: the Christian God is
simultaneously in time (incarnate Jesus) and outside of it (cosmic
Christ). Which is why catholics can still pray to Jesus as
simultaneously resurrected (victorious) and still perpetually being
crucified (empathetic, perpetually propitiatory).

Or the dialogue could turn philosophical, following Bergson.
Josephine, I would recommend "Matter & Memory," if you haven't
already. Bergson is appropriated by Deleuze/Guattari for his ideas
regarding the virtual and the actual (the virtual being a kind of
emergence that hasn't yet emerged), but he is most useful in this
context for the relationship he explores between matter and time.
Bergson says that memory isn't "stored" in our minds (as if our
brains were hardware with a certain amount of allocated RAM). Memory
is properly understood as spiritual. We perceive matter in the world
in "real time" (not Bergson's term), and this perception begins an
undulating back-and-forth flow with memory. All this happens because
our bodies are in the same space as the matter we are perceiving, and
we might want to use our agency to act on it (move a chair, run from
an enemy). So Bergson has a kind of proto-phenomenological
understanding of matter which involves bodies in space over time.

To Bergson, the perception of matter itself is already a smooth
"time-based" event, regardless of how many striated/bisected seconds
it actually takes to perceive the object. Bergson distinguishes
between two types of time -- a kind of Cartesian clock time ("I spent
4 hours, 20 minutes, and 5 seconds in the Rothko Chapel"), and a kind
of smooth, affectively experienced actual time ("That Nine Inch Nails
concert blew me away; can it be 3 am already?")

Regarding loops, not all looped art is doing the same thing. Early
Steve Reich pieces loop with gradual phase shifts, so they are the
same but not the same. Deleuze/Guattari might call this
"deterritorializing the refrain." Lamonte Young's Dream House
deterritorializes the looped refrain in a phenomenological way --
when I am in that space and I tilt my head slightly, the entire mix
radically changes. The sound is up inside my head. That piece has
much more in common with a Judd sculpture than with a video loop
projected in a gallery. I have been doing these pop mantra
performances where I perform a short excerpt from a pop song for
several hours blindfolded ( http://lab404.com/video/pop/ ). In those
cases, duration + a mortal/fallible human body causes the variations.

So perhaps all art is properly understood as time-based (making the
term irrelevant/redundant). Then the relevant questions become -- How
much and what kind of variability occurs over time? How much of the
variability occurs within the piece itself (technically), and how
much of the variability occurs in the experience of the
user/audience/participant/viewer (affectively)? Some of those looping
Bruce Nauman talking head video installations ("I speak, she speaks,
we speak") don't vary at all in the piece itself, but they  vary a
lot in the affective/cognitive experience of the listener/viewer. And
they are orchestrated to cause such a cognitive phase shift. The
medium itself doesn't have to be "generative" (random seed software,
aleatoric instructions) in order for it to create an "emergent"
experience. A "static" object can create an emergent experience.
Indeed, all objects (art or otherwise) are always already doing this.
Present perception of matter invokes past memories of matter which
creates future becomings in the world. Or, as Bergson writes in the
last sentence of Matter & Memory,  "Spirit borrows from matter the
perceptions on which it feeds, and restores them to matter in the
form of movements which it has stamped with its own freedom. "

++++++++++

asides:
Regarding Fried's "filled-up/eternal vs. empty/merry-go-round,"
Bersani and Dutoit argue that Rothko's paintings are affective
precisely because they are impoverished, and not vice versa (cf:
"Arts of Impoverishment").

Regarding actors trying to die in order to escape their time-based
plays, Beckett is the master. Characters perpetually trying to
deterritorialize the looping, seemingly invariable refrain of their
scripted roles. I so agree with Charlie that Hirst's shark (and
skull) presisely perform the preservation of life. Deleuze/Guattari
associate music with the regime of the voice and painting with the
regime of the face. They observe: "The voice is far ahead of the
face, very far ahead... Maybe this is why many people prefer
painting, or why aesthetics took painting  as its priviledged model:
there is no question that it 'scares' people less. Even its relations
to capitalism and social formations are not at all of the same type."

Best,
Curt

Curt Cloninger
Assistant Professor of Multimedia Arts & Sciences
University of North Carolina Asheville

+++++
Home: http://lab404.com
Garden: http://playdamage.org