BRITISH-IRISH-POETS  August 2009

BRITISH-IRISH-POETS August 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: "Has British Poetry had any significance since Wordsworth?"

Jeffrey Side <[log in to unmask]>

British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:42:52 +0100

text/plain

Jamie,

“No it was genuinely in support of that part of the argument, but I also
wanted to hear Wordsworth himself. If I'd wanted to highlight
deficiencies in your argument I would have done so.”

I will have to take your word about this, but I have noticed much of
your style of arguing is based on insinuation, and I assumed this was
just another example. My apologies if it wasn’t.

“What I wrote: ‘Again we seem to be in the same vicinity about the
divergence between WW's theory and practice.’” Your reply: ‘I do think,
that your persistence in arguing the point into the ground without really
considering what my position is, or addressing the chapters I have
posted, indicates that your position is largely based on faith that what
I am saying is not so.’ It seems odd that you should want again to pick
a fight on an issue where I'm agreeing with you: ‘we seem to be in the
same vicinity’. I've already said I'll look at the chapters but I can't
promise to do that for another week or so - as I'm busy and going away
soon.”

Again, I apologise. I thought you were being sarcastic.

“Briefly - about the contradiction I saw: ‘But it is not so much the
influence of Wordsworth’s poetry itself that has sustained but that of
his ideas’, if I've understood it, somewhat contradicts what you said to
me earlier: ‘It seems that (as far as I can gather) your knowledge of
Wordsworth's copiously published poetic ideas is slim. This is not your
fault, most people are not intimate with
such.’ Being patronized wasn't my point at all - it's merely that if most
people don't seem to know of these ideas then the question of their
influence is likely to be even less of a cultural force. I agree that
theories about poetry have influence - my belief, though, remains that
it's poems far more than theories that influence - which is why my point
about WW's practice being in advance of his theories (which we agree
on) is still relevant.’

When I say that most people are not particularly aware of them, I am
not talking about the critics and academics of the 1930s, 40s and 50s
who were, indeed, aware of them, and to a large extent moulded public
taste, via sympathetic publishers, but the average poetry reader, who
approaches poetry more casually. The major critics and academics of
the mid-20 century such as Richards, Leavis, Abrams, Hartman, et al.
certainly did have a role to play in enabling Wordsworth’s ideas to
predominate.

“When I wrote giving an example of how WW's influence is manifested:
E.g. Browning is being Wordsworthian in A Toccata at Galuppi's when he
speaks of the ‘breast's superb abundance’ because here he is using
the ‘language of men talking to men’. (Why didn't I write a thesis
myself?) You reply: ‘I take exception to your sarcasm about writing the
thesis yourself. As far as I can tell, you have written no articles or
critical pieces in this area, so I think your remark inappropriate. Besides
you haven’t yet addressed any of the content of the chapters I posted.
Your reluctance to do this speaks volumes.’ Both remarks were jokes,
maybe not that funny, but neither sarcastic, at least in any way
addressed to you. The first remark gives a cod kind of example. The
second is taking the piss out of myself, not out of you. You've been
under a fair amount of attack, and from me as well, so I can see how
you could make this mistake - but sometimes you seem utterly to
misunderstand the tone of things said.”

Again, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt. It seemed to me,
though, that your remark about writing the thesis yourself was self-
congratulatory from seeing your Browning example as being clever.

“And don't be so impatient about your chapters. I've said I'll look at
them, but I also said I'd prefer to read examples on this forum - or
even, condensed, on your blogsite.”

I will be generous and accept that this is not a cop-out.

 “You're right I've published ‘no articles or critical pieces in this area’, at
least none that I can think of - except a short piece on Whitman and
Baudelaire and something about their influence, not even peer-
reviewed. I haven't ever pretended to be an expert on C19th poetry (or
on anything else
for that matter) but I've read and thought about it. My request was for
you to look again at what I was saying in the earlier mail because I
didn't think you'd really understood it.”

I am sure I did understand it, but I just didn’t agree with it.

 “You reply: ‘This is asking me to ignore the results of five years of PhD
research and two peer-reviewed articles in favour of what you have said
to me in this forum.’ Again, this is weirdly defensive. It's isn't asking
you to jettison ‘five years of PhD’ (as you needlessly keep pointing out
I haven't read it), it's asking you to reflect on why someone would
disagree so strongly with what you published on your blogsite. My
words were: ‘don't just see it as oppositional but as an invitation to
consider a different, even a radically different, view of the matter.’ To
consider it (more carefully) not necessarily to agree with it.”

This may have been your intention, but your use of the words “radically
different” seems to cause me doubt, because for me to have a radically
different view I would necessarily have to jettison my thesis’s
conclusions because they are radically different from yours. I don’t think
you would have used the words otherwise.

“My whole email was an attempt to reduce antagonism, as I could see
it was getting nowhere, and even to show some areas of agreement.
Yet you've seen it as a series of personal attacks on you and your
thesis. I'm not sure I can do any better.”

I can only respond to what you write. If you write in a manner that is
based on insinuation, inference, playfully disingenuous etc. how else
am I to respond? It seems to me you have merely used this debate to
muddy the water, without having read my chapters; preferring instead
that I miraculously condense a 300-page thesis into sound bites for my
blog or this mailing list.

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:26:15 +0100, Jamie McKendrick
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>forum."
>
>Again, this is weirdly defensive. It's isn't asking you to jettison "five
>years of PhD" (as you needlessly keep pointing out I haven't read it),
it's
>asking you to reflect on why someone would disagree so strongly with
what
>you published on your blogsite. My words were:
>" don't just see it as oppositional but as an invitation to consider a
>different, even a radically different, view of the matter." To consider it
>(more carefully) not necessarily to agree with it.
>
>My whole email was an attempt to reduce antagonism, as I could see
it was
>getting nowhere, and even to show some areas of agreement. Yet
you've seen
>it as a series of personal attacks on you and your thesis. I'm not sure

Wordsworth?"

> [...]
it
>of interest to have his own words. And a relief to read Wordsworth
>himself.
>>
>>Again we seem to be in the same vicinity about the divergence
>between WW's theory and practice. Though your point
>>"But it is not so much the influence of Wordsworth’s poetry itself that
>has sustained but that of his ideas", if I've understood it, somewhat
>contradicts what you said to me earlier: "It seems that (as far as I can
>gather) your knowledge of Wordsworth's copiously published poetic
>ideas is slim. This is not your fault, most people are not intimate with
>such."
>>And I think this qualification makes your argument about influence
>much more vulnerable. It becomes more an academic question than
one
>of poetic practice.
>> But no matter.
>>
>>When it comes to the crucial point where we disagree - about WW's
>influence on various C19th poets, it looks to me like you haven't
>understood at all what I'm saying. And yet I can't say it more clearly.
>>The last mail I sent re-iterates the point even more emphatically. For
>your argument to have any interest it's not enough to say Wordsworth
>is influential on these poets - Shelley, Byron, Browning etc. - it's a
>matter of being able to discuss in what ways he is so.
>>E.g. Browning is being Wordsworthian in A Toccata at Galuppi's when
>he speaks of the "breast's superb abundance" because here he is using
>the "language of men talking to men". (Why didn't I write a thesis
>myself?)
>>
>>I can see that you're being besieged by questions from various sides
>and it must be getting quite hectic replying. What I'd suggest (if you
>can be bothered) is that you re-read that section of my mail and don't
>just see it as oppositional but as an invitation to consider a different,
>even a radically different, view of the matter.
>>
>>With reference to Edward Thomas, I am disagreeing (to put it mildly)
>with your estimation of him as "a poor imitation of WW". And I'm
>questioning the nature not the presence of WW's influence.
>>
>>As regards Heaney - I'll look at your Chap. 4 but I think you're
already
>aware of how strongly I disagree with your reading of his work, so
>perhaps there's no point in going over it again. You've read my
>objections to it and there's no sign that they've made any impression
>on you.
>>
>>I wish you'd made your use of the word 'parochial' more clear earlier
>on:
>>
>>"When I say “parochial” I mean it is largely concerned with recording
>or expressing insights gleaned form readily observable (as in
>Wordsworth’s case) phenomena. I don’t mean small-minded or
>geographically parochial."
>>
>>That would have saved me a fair amount of time listing unparochial
>poetics within the last 200 hundred years.

Wordsworth,
> [...]
>>some
>>>relation to WW but it does something entirely different, and is
>>intensely
>>>self-aware about doing so. Though there are traces of WW in Childe
>>Harold,
>>>Byron in his best work, Don Juan, is rarely descriptive in any way
>that
>>>relates to WW, and it's well known he idolized Pope.
>>>
>>>It's not like there's just one thing we learn from a significant
>>>contemporary. Oh, description is what poems do, so let's do some
>>more of
>>>that. It's more likely to be the case with poets of any quality that
>>if "x"
>>>does this, and does it well, then there's just no point in doing it
>again.
>>>
>>>   I'm afraid if I go on it will just look to you like quibbling and
>>>point-scoring, but your remark about Edward Thomas's as being "a
>>poor
>>>imitation of Wordsworth's poetry" seems too feeble to warrant a
>reply.
>>If
>>>you can see no more in Thomas than this I feel this conversation
>can't
>>go
>>>anywhere. (Thomas was a careful reader of WW: he had read him,
>as
>>you would
>>>say, "critically", and his prose is scattered with remarks about him
>>which
>>>testify to this: "In one of his Prefaces Wordsworth writes as if he
>>thought
>>>that passion chastened the speech. Does it?....")
>>>
>>>   I agree that Heaney is influenced by elements in Wordsworth -
but
>>again
>>>in his own distinctive manner: an influence that doesn't equal and
>has
>>>nothing that I can see to do with "empiricism".
>>>
>>>We all agree that Wordsworth is a major poet and by this that he
>will
>>have
>>>an always potentially ongoing impact on poetry, but a stronger case
>>for
>>>influence might be made about a number of poets - Keats for
>>example, and
>>>also the influence is always going to be so refracted through the
>>individual
>>>receiver that it will never equal just the one thing.
>>>
>>>By the way, in the course of this discussion you've never said
>anything
>>>explain what you meant by the "parochialness" of 200 years of
>British
>>>poetry - another case where I've supplied copious examples to
>>challenge the
>>>idea and received none in reply.
>>>
>>>Anyway I'll take a look sometime at your Chap 5 -“Empirical
>>Identifiers”: an
>>>analytic tool for literary criticism", but I confess the idea already

Wordsworth’s
>>>poetry. One only has to look at Edward Thomas and the Georgian
>>poets
>>>to see this. From 1910 till the end of the century, this sort of poetry
>>>was, more or less, despite the presence of Dylan Thomas, the New
>>>Apocalypse poets and all non-mainstream poetry of the 60s, 70s,
>80s,
>>>and 90s, the predominating style. Again this is abundantly
>>documented.
>>>
>>>The significance of Hobsbaum is not that he was, in himself, a
>>>particularly important figure, but that he is responsible for the
career
>>of
>>>Heaney, who has admitted that Wordsworth (via Hobsbaum's
>teaching
>>>of him) influenced him greatly. And Heaney is, I think, an important
>>>figure in the UK, and is taught approvingly in schools etc.
Therefore,