AT-TRAINERS  August 2009

AT-TRAINERS August 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: FW: An easy way to convert PDF's to images, so that RWGOLD 3 for MAC can convert to Doc.

Mike Parry <[log in to unmask]>

Assistive Technology Trainers <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:43:54 +0100

text/plain

Ian, you're old school computers then. When Microsoft was but a glint in
young Bill's eye. I'm picturing you now with a big bushy beard, tee shirt
and jeans, California-style. Am I close? (probably not!)

I understand what you're saying Tim, but one has to be pragmatic about these
things. If you picked up on every non-accessible practice by colleagues in
our area, you'd go bonkers..

for example, when you reply to this list it automatically copies previous
messages in the same thread into your reply (below it). As the ASASA list
moderator pointed out to me, that's not ideal if you're a screen reader user.

I subscribed to this list to find other AT trainers (and I have) but I'm
wondering how much cross over there is with the ATinHE list? I'm subscibed
to that as well but havent looked at it for a while. I presume it's quiet
because I don't get any emails into my inbox from it. I suppose on this
list, strictly speaking we ought to be discussing training matters, swapping
training materials and so on. I'd find that very useful.

In that vein, I discovered last week, (I'm 70% sure this is correct) that
the latest 'education version' of Dragon 10 won't install untill the owner
(ie the student) sends off a letter from their institution confirming their
student status to Nuance in the US, and they send back a serial number. So
if you're a trainer who is also doing the install, you need to make sure
that's done before you arrive for the training session!

I'm off to portugal for a couple of weeks, so wont be contributing till i
get back..

adeous

Mike P

To add to what Tim says - just because I am an anorak - the term AT has been
around for many years. In the late 70s/early 80's it was a term used to
relate to
anyone
who used technology of all types (not just ICT) to help people who were
disabled
or
elderly. When I was at DISinHE we used the term to relate to those who used
computer based technology; TECHDIS (as the son/daughter of DISinHE) have
simply carried
this on.

I consider myself to be a qualified ATs because I did a UK based one off
academic
course back in the late 70s. Most would have had to go to America to study as
there are no courses available in the UK until recently. I do some training but
mainly these days assess students for the DSA.

I welcome the newly found interest in this forum and urge those who are
working in
the field of ICT and students with disabilities to stay with us as the few
discussion
streams that appear from
time to time are relevant not just to trainers but all including assessors too.

Ian