Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: 21st century drawing skills

Eduardo Corte Real <[log in to unmask]>

The UK drawing research network mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:51:37 +0100

text/plain

Hi Andrea and others on this thread,

The other day some colleagues from Computer Science that are working in
games came to our school for a seminar. The goal is to make
interdisciplinary masters’ students teams to produce games. One of
things that stroked me was that for the first time the game industry got
bigger revenues than the music and the film industries. This was the day
Sims 3 three was launched in Portugal.

Most of the games are unfold within 4D virtual environment that at some
point was a drawing. Also the characters are made in the same way. The
animation movies are more and more produced entangled with a future game.

The guys able to “design” or visualize this stuff had classic training
in drawing from the art & design schools. Old classic oddities like
observation drawing, anatomy drawing, statue drawing, life model, pencil
and aquatint renderings, and lots of sketching are in the basis of two
of the most powerful entertaining industries on the planet. Drawing as a
road to illustration and story boarding is obviously a role for drawing
(in a very classic normal way) in the XXI century.

I don’t know if you are acquainted with the blogosphere phenomenon of
sketchbooks and graphic diaries. Once a sub product of the grand art,
the diaries are starting to an art from on its own right and are mostly
based on classic sketching skills. We can not predict what will happen
from here but it is a solid expansion of this sort of thing.

Just take a look at the urban sketchers web site. The author Gabi
Campanario is currently working for a Seattle newspaper. Curiously
enough, people like to see a drawn reportage. Some of my friends here
got the same job in a new newspaper. It is worth to take a look at
Eduardo Salavisa’s blog and see his reportage at the morgue. Please take
look at
http://diario-grafico.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-05-27T09%3A29%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=30
<http://diario-grafico.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-05-27T09%3A29%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=30>

It seems also that Comics will never end, scientific illustration also,
designing a shoe starting with a hand made sketch or even an elaborated
rendering.

So the XXI's Drawing Skills seem to be
first: the XX Drawing Skills

Have a nice weekend,

Cheers

Eduardo Corte-Real

Ass Prof. History and Practices of Drawing

IADE

Lisboa