The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  July 2009

DISABILITY-RESEARCH July 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: The question of being able-bodied and doing work in the field of disability studies

"Hirsch, Jerrold" <[log in to unmask]>

Hirsch, Jerrold

Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:47:30 -0500

text/plain

Larry:

Wilberforce and John Stuart Mill--interesting examples.  Now you are dealing with history and in that realm the anti-slavery struggle would have been much less effective without Wilberforce's contributions.  John Stuart Mill made contributions to the feminist movement that feminists have acknowledged. What makes you think that the people that read Mill didn't read Wollstonecraft?   What makes you think that the people who read Wilberforce didn't read Equiano?  There is ample historical evidence that they read both.  Furthermore, Equiano and Wilberforce considered themselves allies.

Do you want to rewrite history to exclude Wilberforce's role?  In the United States, should we rewrite the history of the abolitionist movement to exclude  William Lloyd Garrison and to include only black abolitionists, such as Frederick Douglass and Sojourner Truth.  The latter two figures made it abundantly clear in their writings that they considered Garrison an important ally and a valued part of their movement.  Garrison and Douglass both supported the women's movement and their contributions were valued.  In fact, one of Douglass's famous speeches on this topic emphasized that women were capable of speaking for themselves.  His audience agreed and still wanted him as ally and valued his contributions and ideas as articulated in his speeches and writings.

Jerry Hirsch