CRISIS-FORUM  June 2009

CRISIS-FORUM June 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Carbon Balanced by the World Land Trust. Offset your carbon dioxide emissions

Jonathan Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Jonathan Ward <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:05:05 +0100

text/plain

"ssuming many or most of us still do fly or use other long distance
travel now and then, what do you do"

I have not flown for holiday since 2004, and managed to not fly for
three years at all (i'm not looking for a medal here either)...since
then only for medical treatment and moving to study and back again have
i used flying...but the alternatives are expensive and i find i travel
very little these days. I came back from sweden to england for my
nephew's christening last year via trains and boat (trains were electric
and it seemed on paper a lower CO2 emissions in total than flying)...but
even with an interail ticket and cheap boat crossing from holland it was
still very, very expensive, and took 24 hours each way (except on way
back due to 6 hour delay and i had to get a sleeper train)...I enjoyed
the journeys, despite 6 changes and lugging a backpack. But for less
mobile people or with a young family, it's pretty difficult.

Going to most of Europe by train is easy, affordable and fun (I went to
Budapest via Bavaria a few years ago for under a £100 return)...but it
does take a reasonable amount of effort to source the the affordable
tickets, and it helped speaking some german and being enormously
flexible on times.

A greater problem for me has been that most of my friends are not
English or do not live in England. Having returned from my studies in
Sweden, it seems likely that most I will not travel to see again unless
somewhere close. The internet sustains an image of a connected world,
but we need to have a network of localities. I recognise I need friends,
people, products and opportunities where I live, not far away or via
some electronic medium.

Not flying has already cost me some personal ties, and upset some
friends....the same with respect to other lifestyle choices (trying to
not buy, and then if buying buying ethically sound products)...you see
even if you are silent in your ways, not preaching, by living in a
certain way, it creates friction with people and society around
you...just as I Still feel guilty when I open the newspaper and see many
things or see someone in the street, apparently I have made some other
people feel guilty, and they would rather not, so they don't spend as
much time with you.

trying to be environmentally and ethically sound can make you appear a
little pious, even if it is done so you can live with yourself, to
respect the knowledge you have learnt. it's an image that will get the
environmental movement nowhere..it has to be a message of improvement on
existing life or people are not going to take it...not until the impacts
of climate change are so overwhelming we get a 'war' style economy where
we gear everything towards one aim. of course, by then it may be too
late for a lot of actions, and for a lot of impacts to be avoided.

Offsetting still allows us to transfer our problems, our
responsibility...i accept it can have some benefits, but fundamentally
it's not changing behaviour.

WE all say we have to work with the system, and that offsetting is the
only way..but taking the example of a business meeting, is there not
sufficient evidence to say no to a business and suggest a video
conference? same for academic conferences? forget the perks, it's about
changing behaviour....

The same for normal travel, when you have expenses do you travel with
taxi or first class rather than normal public transport? Why?

As it appears that I am ranting ever so slightly, what about housing?

I have never owned a house and it seems unlikely in the near
future...which frustrates me in terms of getting something efficient,
because for all the demonising of flying, our home and office spaces and
everyday transport remains a much bigger issue.Are we going to see
offsetting of housing? What about old houses (I live currently in a 16th
C wooden farmhouse, beautiful but efficient it is not, except for how it
was built), do we modify them and change planning laws? Are there
certain sacred things which environmentalism and efficiency should not
touch? like cows (as the TImes suggested this week), or closer to home
for me, Whiskey, which is very carbon intensive?

I personally don't think we have the faintest idea of what it means to
make our lives sustainable through our own choices, we can see the
bigger fixes, but the small parts add up greatly, and we all have blind
spots (I have lots of photos stored online which I justify as artistic,
but they serve no great purpose in the world whilst they take up server
energy).

Offsetting prevents us from this kind of examination, and that is my
problem with it.

Sorry for the length and lack of cohesion,

Jonathan