MENTORING-COACHING  June 2009

MENTORING-COACHING June 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Research questions and practice relevance

Corina Seal <[log in to unmask]>

BERA-MENTORING-COACHING <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:34:56 +0100

text/plain

Hello Dianne and others

Thank you so much for this contribution and apologies that it has taken so
long for me to respond ( I have been in London all day at the Teacher
Learning Academy conference and found my internet connection down when I
got home.)

I can really relate to what you say about your further three questions
coming out after you had some answers to share. When I started out working
with the Research Lesson Study Group back in 2003 we were trying to follow
a process which involved us accessing the existing knowledge base and
forming our research questions before beginning our own research. We
quickly realised that practitioner research in schools (like any true
learning) is a much messier process than this tidy sequence suggests. It
wasn't until we started collecting data that we really began to appreciate
what knowledge we needed and so it was at that stage that we really
connected with relevant research (thanks to the invaluable advice of an
NCSL advisor) and began to use the classifications of pupil talk put
forward by Mercer (1995) to analyse the dialogue in our own classrooms. We
were then in a position (having developed our understanding) to refine our
research question further.

I was also very interested in your comment about returning to practice and
not being available to support other practitioners in their research. I
don't know if others would agree with me but I feel that in this country
there is a growing feeling that there is a place for both academic
support/coaching and peer-coaching of practitioner researchers. As well as
being supported by their university mentor, the staff who are studying for
their Masters module in my school are also paired with a research 'buddy'
in the school - someone who has already taken part in practitioner
research whilst completing their own Masters degree. We also have a team
of TLA leaders who are trained to support staff completing their stage 1
and stage 2 TLA projects (these are small scale research projects -
details can be seen on the TLA site www.teacherlearningacademy.org.uk).

 I would love to hear of other examples of co-coaching of researchers in
schools and how sucessful such practices have proved to be.

Thanks again for you contribution Dianne!

Corina