FSL  May 2009

FSL May 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Output undistorted DTI Results from Feat Gui

Siew-Min Gan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 May 2009 01:33:53 +1000

text/plain

>>Hi, I have difficulty getting an undistorted 4D brain which is unbetted
using FEAT GUI. I have tried running FEAT GUI several times with the
"BET brain extraction" turned off. The files output I have are:
1. example_func.nii.gz (3D betted file)
2. filtered_func_data.nii.gz (4D betted file)
 (both in the name.feat folder)
3. EF_UD_example_func.nii.gz (in the unwarp subfolder) (3D unbetted 3D file)

Is there a 4D undistorted DTI file which is unbetted, that can be obtained
from running only the B0 distortion correction function in FEAT?

Is there any benefit to use spatial smoothing function in FEAT in the B0
unwarping?

Many Thanks

Siewmin
> Hi,
>>
>> 1 - Look in the unwarp directory - there you should be able to find
>> 	the images that are used to generate the html page and should
>> 	contain the skull.  You should also turn the "BET brain extraction"
>> 	button off in the pre-stats tab to avoid this happening.
>>
>> 2 - This is probably just a display issue.  Load the image
>> 	unwarp/ED_UD_fmap_sigloss into FSLView and see what
>> 	the values are.  They should hopefully all be around 1 and
>> 	have no (or very few) voxels containing zero.  If there are
>> 	lots of voxels containing zero then there is a problem.
>> 	As to whether there is an advantage to setting it to 0% or
>> 	leaving it as 10%, I suspect it will not make a big difference.
>> 	It only affects the registration parts and not the unwarping,
>> 	so you will still get the unwarping in the inferior regions
>> 	even when these are not included in this map.  Hopefully these
>> 	areas are unwarped successfully in the end.
>>
>> 3 - You can change the type with:
>> 	fslmaths imagename imagename -odt short
>> 	We choose to convert to 32 bit float as the interpolation which
>> 	is done introduces non-integer values.  However, if your dynamic
>> 	range is large (so that the non-integer portion is negligible as a
>> 	percentage of the main signal) then you can convert back to
>> 	16 bit integer without much loss in accuracy.  There isn't any
>> 	advantage to doing the conversion though, so unless you really
>> 	need it for space reasons or for compatibility with other software
>> 	then I would not convert it.
>>
>> All the best,
>> 	Mark

>>> queries, in particular with coversion of the datatype in the
>>> undistorted
>>> file.
>>>
>>> 1.The undistorted images all have skull removed (example_ func and
>>> filtered_func_data). The images of the undistorted 4D dti data on
>>> the feat
>>> report prestats_html page don't have skull removed.  How can I get an
>>> undistorted 4D data with skull, or is the default output all
>>> skullless?
>>>
>>> 2. When I select % signal loss threshold as 10, the red region in the
>>> brain in row 2 of the html page( also described as the region that
>>> will be
>>> ignored during registration), are mainly in the temporal and inferior
>>> frontal lobes. This is also the region where most of the distortion
>>> and B0
>>> inhomogeniety occurs  in the fieldmap. If this is the case, would it
>>> be
>>> better to select the % signal threshold as 10, so these regions with
>>> signal loss and that also tends to be distorted, would be ignored in
>>> the
>>> registration, or it doesn't matter as you have mentioned in the
>>> previous
>>> email. Next, when I select the % signal loss threshold to 0, the