JiscMail Logo

Help for CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES Archives

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES Archives

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES Archives

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES Home

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES Home

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES  May 2009

CONTAMINATED-LAND-STRATEGIES May 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: Asbestos found in garden

Robin MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>

Robin MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 May 2009 12:02:22 +0100

text/plain

We have a similar problem although I think we have less asbestos to deal with. This development was conditioned fully in relation to contaminated land as it was a former sawmill.

This arose from a complaint by the current owner who was originally concerned that he couldn't grow anything and anything that did grow eventually died. I'm no expert on plants as I can usually kill any specimen in a very short time in my care but there was obviously an issue here. We did some research, on the planning file and the analysis that was submitted verified there were no metals or organics.

When we visited the site I did notice sporadic asbestos fragments throughout the site and this would have appeared to be sourced from the topsoil that was used in landscaping the garden.

This gave us evidence enough to get him to sample the material that was used for topsoil (originally scraped from the site). All the chemical analysis is fine and the only issue is the asbestos fragments. We also requested asbestos fibre screening which were also negative.

It would appear that there are many issues between the developer and the owner of the property and we are caught in what I consider to be an ongoing war of attrition between the two and I refuse to get drawn in.

Three Officers have spent an inordinate amount of time dealing with the complainer who has been extremely difficult to deal with. We have to; it's our duty to do so.

Is it a risk now or is it likely to become one in the future? I would not identify this as contaminated land based on the volume of asbestos fragments however; I feel that it's the developer or their insurer to sort out and not the taxpayer.

There is still a large degree of "caveat emptor" exercisable in this regime.

So we have taken the stance that it's a claim against the warranty, he can undertake the removal at his own costs or he can make a civil action.

Never the less it is there and I would not want it in my garden after paying £XYZK for a house that should be suitable for use as a domestic dwelling. As usual it's the Councils fault he has asbestos in the garden and no fault of the developer.

Other opinions welcomed.

Robin Mackenzie
Contaminated Land Co-ordinator
Environment Service