Re: Guardian climate summit

jo abbess <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:39:57 +0000

text/plain

Hi CRISIS FORUM,

1.   The 90% Limit

I have had discussions with several people who know the various thermal generation possibilities with a range of fuels. I don't remember (or I was not permitted to record) all the details, but the general overview is that Carbon Capture will probably need exponentially rising energy input for any percentage over 90% of plant emissions.

That is, above certain calculable limits, it is likely to take a very quickly rising amount of extra fuel to power the capture process.

This is related to the entropy of the problem - the concept from thermodynamics that any transfer of energy from one kind to another always involves a loss. You cannot get 100% efficiency moving from one form or energy or "work" to another. This applies as much to chemistry as it does to machinery.

For example, one of the most efficient machines that people use is the bicycle, with some people putting its efficiency at 80% conversion, which is considered very, very efficient.

2.   Commitment to coal

Not only is this decision a commitment to coal, it is a compromise to the coal lobby, and lays the tracks for further compromises further down the line.

It is not a real commitment to reduced emissions, since energy demand is still projected to rise (hence the orders for new coal plants).

3.   The NGO response

Quite a few people have been taken in and suckered by the Coal Public Relations Campaign over the last few years - however long it's been running. I had a discussion with someone recently where I tried to think back to when Carbon Capture and Storage was first proposed as an "engineering" possibility. The year 1996 popped out of my memory bank quite spontaneously, so I have checked it out :-

http://www.carboncapturejournal.com/displaynews.php?NewsID=209&PHPSESSID=h08g292ksllj2lkjsordof12t0
"Over 10 million tonnes of CO2 have been stored in the Utsira formation since the project was started in 1996."

http://www.tsl.uu.se/uhdsg/Popular/CCS.pdf
"Statoil have been re-injecting CO2 into a deep aquifer overlying the Sleipner field for storage as a test project, over 1 Mton of CO2 per year since 1996."

As an aside, also see :-
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/cclp/ccsprotocol.php

Although there have been apparently positive "noises" regarding the CCS announcement, I think you'll find it's mostly people trying to be reasonable, saying "OK, but..."

http://www.wdm.org.uk/news/CCSgiantgamblewithclimate23042009.htm
"WDM welcomes end of unabated coal but fears CCS technology is "a giant gamble with the climate""

As for John Vidal of The Guardian and certain other gentlemen of the Press, I am appalled by their craven obesience to the CCS nonsense (for nonsense it is) :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/apr/23/clean-coal-energy-policy
"Clean coal push marks reversal of UK energy policy : Decision not to allow any new coal-powered plants to be built in Britain without carbon capture represents a major victory for the new Department for Energy and Climate Change and green pressure groups : John Vidal, environment editor : guardian.co.uk, Thursday 23 April 2009 17.42 BST..."

jo.
+44 77 17 22 13 96
http://www.joabbess.com
http://www.changecollege.org.uk