INT-BOUNDARIES  March 2009

INT-BOUNDARIES March 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: somaliland stature grows in africa europe & america as constitutional crisis emerges

Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:37:53 -0700

text/plain

Yes, so-called Palestine is recognized by lots of countries NOW, and the others too to some extent, but they had to start somewhere too.  So did all the others.  They had sponsors -- South Ossetia recognized by Russia, so Russia's allies follow, etc.  (Taiwan is a good example of this process in reverse.)  Somaliland does not have a sponsor yet, but is trying hard and cannily to get one -- once you have one, others follow, and that makes it easier for still more.  Good luck to them!  Naturally the path to recognition will not be identical for all countries, or "countries".  But the distinction is comparative only, I think, not categorical.  Apples, but not oranges -- just another variety of apple.

David Phillips
San Francisco