ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS  March 2009

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS March 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: BNIM - do non-westerners have different concepts of 'narrative'? [[How might one proceed do 'adapt BNIM' [method of narrative research interviewing] appropriately?]]

tom wengraf <[log in to unmask]>

tom wengraf <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:44:49 -0000

text/plain

*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

The difficulty is that, for me to feel I could say anything, I would need to
have the transcript to make a judgement about the alternative
interpretations. Both some awkwardness about pushing for PINs and some
reluctance about giving certain sorts of details under certain sorts of
contexts.. All might be at play at different points to (very) different
degrees. A general universal answer without being located to particular
interviewing contexts would be very un-grounded theory...! We need the data
about which to make (different) grounded judgements.. Different cultural
cues, different demarcations of public/private matters... And the logical
category of "Non-Westerners" may cover a very diverse set of realities
indeed!

Thanks very much Rosalyn for raising the issue. If any cross-cultural
comparative narratologists or others have material, references or insights
to offer (ideally, all three), then  that might shed light on lots of
things, including 'Western narrative'.

Best wishes

Tom

 P.S. free-associative musings suggest Levi-Strauss on some American Indian
discourse that he (L-S) described as 'n arrative of a different sort' (but I
think it was a leg-pull); Dorothy Lee in her lovely book freedom and culture
on the dominance of the 'the line' as a category immanent in  (not-all)
world thinking - I think she said that the Trobriand Islanders around the
time of Malinowski's stay during World War One engaged in a non-lineal
codification of reality. But I'm sure there must be (somewhere) more recent
discussions of all this.

  _____