DRAWING-RESEARCH  February 2009

DRAWING-RESEARCH February 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: DRAWING-RESEARCH Digest - 12 Feb 2009 to 13 Feb 2009 (#2009-22)

T JONES <[log in to unmask]>

The UK drawing research network mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:26:03 +0000

text/plain

Drawing Messaging

To answer the question directly: I did not respond because the project does not seem to be leading anywhere.

The reasons why one person might send in one image and another send in a very different one are limited only by the number of people involved and their various moods, circumstances or intentions. Whilst the arbitrariness of the resulting images may be attractive or indeed intriguing, what happens then ? It is surely not enough to put all the images side-by-side, circulate the resulting collection and note that they are remarkably diverse: a fairly predicable outcome, given that the participants are artists. The only reason for joining the project would seem to be an interest in the process for its own sake: sending digital drawings to each other. To put this into context, isn't it a bit like saying that artists in 15th century Florence were only interested in perspective for its own sake ? We have plenty of evidence that they were fascinated by the process, but not as an end in itself.  It was always being explored as a means to achieving another goal:
 envisaging an ideal city, making illusionistic paintings, celebrating the achievements of the church or a ruler, designing new buildings, knowing more about optics, or - not least - re-positioning man in the universe.

Though collectively we may still in be the phase of fascination with a new-ish medium, it is surely reasonable to ask the question: "What is 'Drawing Messages' doing with the medium other than providing an opportunity to exercise it ?"

Tom Jones