DC-RDA  January 2009

DC-RDA January 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: [RDA] new analysis of scenarios 7, 8, 9, 10; updates to scenarios 1-6

Alistair Miles <[log in to unmask]>

List for discussion on Resource Description and Access (RDA)

Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:58:16 +0000

text/plain

Hi Karen,

If you could create a cataloger scenario that uses publication
statement, or edition statement, or place and date of capture, then we
could see how this plays out in the data. Might help to make these
discussions more concrete. An example is worth a thousand words.

Having said that, here's a thousand words to add to the confusion... :)

I find the UML notions of meta-models and model transformations very
helpful in discussions such as these. What we are doing is designing a
model transformation, using one model as input (the RDA elements, as
defined by RDA) to generate another model as output (an RDF schema).

One possible source of confusion is that the RDA elements uses a
different meta-model from RDF's meta-model. When you starting mixing
meta-models in the same sentence, you have to be very careful not to
end up with vegetable soup. I always try to keep different meta-models
separate in my comments and prose, and try to make clear which
meta-model I'm using in each sentence or paragraph.

I.e. the RDA meta-model talks about "elements", "element sub-types" and
"sub-elements".

The RDF(S) meta-model talks about "properties", "classes",
"sub-properties", "sub-classes", "domain", "range".

What Karen is discussing are the *rules* we use to transform the from
RDA meta-model to the RDF(S) meta-model. I don't think we've stated
these rules formally yet, maybe we should. (But it is good at least
that we are trying to develop some rules at all. I.e. I think it is
good to attempt a *principled* (i.e. systematic) transformation,
rather than a completely ad hoc one.)

Anyway, the rules Karen has developed so far go something like this (I
think):

 1. For each element in the RDA model, generate a property in the RDF schema

 2. For each element sub-type association between two elements in the
 RDA model, generate a sub-property association between the two
 corresponding properties in the RDF schema

 3. For each sub-element association between two elements in the RDA
 model, generate a sub-property association between the two
 corresponding properties in the RDF schema

Rules 1 and 2 seem reasonable to me. I think rule 3 is an error.

Thinking in terms of a model transformation also helps me to keep the
input (the RDA model, defined in terms of elements, sub-elements,
element sub-types etc.) separate in my head from the output (our RDF
schema, defined in terms of classes, properties etc.).

We might hope to generate one RDF property for each RDA element, and
so end up with an output that is very similar in appearance (at a
glance) to the input, but I don't think we need to stick religiously
to that. As long as we stick to a principled transformation from RDA
to our RDF schema, then I think we can say we are being true to RDA --
i.e. as long as we can state the *rules* we've used to effect the
transformation, then we are being true to RDA; if we cannot state
those rules, then we are being ad hoc, and we are no longer true to
RDA (because we have added some intellectual content).

Another good thing about the notion of model transformation is that
you can talk about a model transformation in abstract terms (as I have
done in points 1, 2 and 3 above), but you can also implement a model
transformation concretely as some sort of program. This is exactly
what I did at the first DCMI/RDA meeting -- I implemented a model
transformation as an XSL stylesheet, using Tom Delsey's excel
spreadsheet describing the RDA model (saved as XML) as input,
generating an RDF schema (as RDF/XML) as output.

In that transformation (see [1]) I implemented rules 1 and 2 as above,
but I did something different for RDA sub-elements. In fact I assumed
an n-ary pattern in the output, although I stopped short of making
this explicit in the output (I was rather pressed for time :). If I
had more time, I would have done something like:

 3. For each RDA element X which has sub-elements Y, Z, ... generate
 an RDFS class C whose name is based on X, state the range of X as C,
 and state the domain of Y, Z, ... as C.

This is exactly what Mikael is suggesting we do, I believe.

E.g. for RDA element "publicationStatement" and sub-elements
"placeOfPublication", "dateOfPublication", I would generate the
following RDF schema fragment:

rda:publicationStatement rdf:type rdf:Property .
rda:placeOfPublication rdf:type rdf:Property .
rda:dateOfPublication rdf:type rdf:Property .
rda:PublicationStatement rdf:type rdfs:Class .
rda:publicationStatement rdfs:range rda:PublicationStatement .
rda:dateOfPublication rdfs:domain rda:PublicationStatement .
rda:placeOfPublication rdfs:domain rda:PublicationStatement .

... which is intended for use in data as e.g.:

ex:myExampleExpression rdf:type frbr:Expression ;
  rda:publicationStatement [
    rda:placeOfPublication ex:NewYork ;
    rda:dateOfPublication "2007"^^xsd:year ;
  ]
.

Cheers,

Alistair