Re: X-ray photon correlation length

James Holton <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:49:32 -0800

text/plain

After conversing with Bernhard a bit offline I think the relevant
question is:

How far apart can two electrons in the crystal be before their
scattering becomes "incoherent" ... as in no longer interfering with
each other in the way Bragg described.

The answer to this is about 10 um if the source is 1 m away (or the
detector whichever is closer), and about 3 um if the detector/source is
100 mm away.

I derive this answer from the breakdown of Bragg's assumption that the
incoming and outgoing waves are a perfect plane wave.  Since the
distance to the source is not infinity, there must be some curvature to
the wavefront.  This has nothing to do with beam divergence or spectral
dispersion.  We are talking about one photon (emitted from the
acceleration of some electron in the storage ring or in the copper
anode) propagating through space in the quantum-wave mechanical way, and
then being detected on the detector with some probability distribution
that is the result of all these interfering scattered waves.  The Braggs
simplified all this to a single geometric diagram, and that is why we
all like them so much.

Here is my version of the Bragg diagram:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/pickup/Bragg.png

The fundamental principle behind Bragg's Law is that the length of the
path taken by the wavefront from the source to an atom in the crystal
and then on to a point on the detector must be the same (plus or minus
an integral number of wavelengths) as some other path from the exact
same point in the source to the exact same point on the detector but
through a different atom (maybe in the same unit cell, maybe not).
Bragg assumed that the source and the detector were REALLY far away and
that simplifies the math, but that must break down eventually as we talk
about atoms getting further and further apart in the crystal.  For
example, if the atoms are on opposite sides of the room (d-spacing large
compared with the distance to the source) then Bragg's Law will break down.

I have drawn a generalized Bragg construction (not necessarily to scale)
here:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/pickup/Bragg-ish.png

So, all we have to do is calculate the distance traveled by "the photon"
taking a path through atom #1 vs atom #2 and then require that these two
distances be an integral multiple of the wavelength.  This is exactly
what Bragg did, except he assumed d was very much smaller than the
source-to-xtal distance.  You need some very high-precision
floating-point arithmetic to do this "right", since the distance between
the source and the detector is typically ten orders of magnitude larger
than the distance between the atoms.  It is a rare thing in science when
a technique spans such a large range in length scale.  I imagine Bragg
didn't feel like working with 10-digit numbers, so he just made the
lines parallel.
    Since I, unlike Bragg, have access to a very high precision
calculating machine (gnuplot) I can calculate Bernhard's "coherence
length" using the Pythagorean theorem:
  Simplest thing is to assume forward-scattering and consider two
electrons that are always exactly the same distance from the source
(stx).  Let's assume this is one meter or 10^10 Angstrom.  Also, for
simplicity, let's assume the detector is also one meter from the sample
(xtf).  Also, for simplicity assume that the path from the source to
detector via atom #1 is straight (as in my second diagram).  Now, in
Bragg's diagram, it doesn't matter how big "d" is: the lines are
parallel and the same length (outside the diagram) so the x-rays always
constructively interfere at the detector as long as 2*d*sin(theta) =
n*lambda.  So, given that the lines must actually intersect at the
source and the detector, how large can "d" be before the path from
source to detector via atom #2 is 0.5 Angstrom longer than the path
through atom #1?

sqrt( (1e10)**2 + 1e5**2 ) =  1e10 + 0.5

So, 100,000 Angstroms (10 um).

-James Holton
MAD Scientist