DC-IEEELTSC-TASKFORCE  December 2008

DC-IEEELTSC-TASKFORCE December 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: First readable draft of LOM-DCAM mapping

"Flack, Irvin" <[log in to unmask]>

Flack, Irvin

Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:25:10 +1100

text/plain

Mikael

Thank you for the work you and others have done on this. The complexity of the whole exercise is pretty mindboggling to me.

I've only been able to read through the document [1] quickly so far but I have a query about 9.2.1:Source. I thought I was following the logic of the DC-Text representation but I hit a problem with this element.

You have:

Description (

 ResourceId ( TXP )

 Statement (

  PropertyURI ( lom:taxonSource )

  LiteralValueString ( “Value” )

 )

)

The 9.2.1:Source element in LOM has the datatype 'LangString' whereas your mapping indicates it as a LiteralValueString (what I understand as corresponding to the LOM datatype 'CharString'). Is that a mistake or a deliberate decision on your part - or am I misunderstanding something?

Also, I'm confused by the entry in the LOM Terms wiki [2] for that element:

Property URI: 	 http://ltsc.ieee.org/rdf/lom#taxonSource

Qualified Name: 	lom:taxonSource

Defined By: 	LOM Terms http://ltsc.ieee.org/rdf/lom#

Type of Term: 	rdf:Property

Domain: 	lom:LangString

Range: 	rdfs:Literal

Why is the domain lom:LangString? -- I was expecting lom:TaxonPath. And for range I'd expect lom:LangString.

Or, again, am I misunderstanding the model?

Regards

Irvin

Irvin Flack

Metadata Librarian