Re: actualisation

philippe nmairesse <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:43:38 +0100

text/plain

What a silence suddenly....It looks as if Aacorn had been turned off since
these promissing exchanges on finance and art....Paul, David, Daved, Jürgen,
Matt, Steve Michael, and others aacorners, where are you ? I miss your words
I hope "I" didn't reduced the list to mute
;-))
philippe

----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: actualisation

Dear Philippe;
 this is most interesting. Many great insights to which I add some small
ones.

 One thing that I try to do and am doing it now with a group of Executive
MBA people is to get them to work on conceptualising aspects of the verbal
world in terms of group presentations that have to have a strong visual or
poetic element to get these ideas over.
 Sometimes I can challenge them by asking dumb questions like "Bottom Line?
where is the bottom?... What is it the bottom of?.... I am not an accountant
so I don't see what is the "top" either... "and so on until I ask again in
rather a dumb way "Well can you draw it?" Or "It sounds as though balance is
important in that, so can you balance that in another way, maybe is there a
poem in that?"

Sometimes we can take a concept like "Best practice" or "Benchmark" and ask
them to draw these concepts so that they can attempt to limit the range of
the possible in a visual way and realise that there can be no "Best" if you
cannot visualise infinity.

I always allow a choice of how they present. Usually some groups try to do
very conventional presentations with run of the mill charts, diagrams,
tables etc... but then some of the other groups who have been more
adventurous will shout out "Draw it!!" or "If you can't see it, you can't
say it!"

I have an advantage in that as I am old and wear a pinstripe business suit
for these sessions they figure that I cannot possibly be as dumb as I sound
but as I am clearly an old Professor and must know something, they may as
well go along with it and humour me.
 Afterwards they often  say somethng like "Well, that was very different! I
see things in a different way!"
Best regards
David