NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  October 2008

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING October 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Gender, art and new media - CYBERNETICS SERENDIPITY REDUX

Danny Butt <[log in to unmask]>

Danny Butt <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:51:08 +1300

text/plain

I was hoping someone might follow up Chris' excellent deconstruction
of the binary I surfaced (offhand, but nevertheless....) and there are
many interesting points of departure in those stories in the US.

I would just take one example which is that, returning to teach in an
art school after some time away,  our gender ratio is 75% female to
25% male. So, for example, I (with some self-consciousness) facilitate
an entirely female 11-person Hons/MFA reading group - which I think
factors into the career viability issue raised below.

Chris, sorry not to engage your post more fully but I really enjoyed
it and can't get into all the things I find valuable.... However, I
thought I'd list some questions around gender that remain present as
important theoretical concerns in my work:

1) Gender is fundamental to our understanding of the binary. [In very
different ways in different cultural environments - I completely agree
with Caroline Langill's point that heterogeneity (or I would say
difference) is critical here.]

2) Those working on transgender politics are asking the most pertinent
questions about the reality of crossing borders, when those borders
are not a category of thought but embodied.

3) And more sociologically, the history of feminist work seems to me
to have the most valuable archive documenting the possibilities and
limits of collective action; and the category of "experience" raised
in that work has much relevance to many aspects of curatorial practice.

If you'll excuse some linkage, I raise some of the above (and related
issues around indigenous knowledge) in a recent book chapter that some
of you might be interested in, which I've put up on my website.

<http://www.dannybutt.net/acp/2008/03/15/local-knowledge-and-new-media-theory/

Butt, Danny. "Local Knowledge and New Media Theory."  The Aotearoa
Digital Arts Reader. Eds. Stella Brennan and Su Ballard. vols.
Auckland: Aotearoa Digital Arts and Clouds, 2008. 30-35.

Cheers

Danny