CRISIS-FORUM  October 2008

CRISIS-FORUM October 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: European Carbon Control : Why I will NOT be signing the Avaaz petition

jo abbess <[log in to unmask]>

jo abbess <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:08:11 +0000

text/plain

Hi Chris and CRISIS FORUM,

I would suggest that you try to separate Money from Carbon in your thinking.

These are two distinct things, one is ostensibly of positive value, and the other is ostensibly of negative value. Asking people to pay Money for Carbon is therefore illogical.

Therefore you base a company's Cap and Cut regime on the basis of their current Carbon use, not on their sales figures. The end point can be determined by having done some calculation of how this business is essential to the running of the national infrastructure, and effectively working out the Carbon contribution per citizen.

Even in the EU ETS there are some "protected" businesses, their Carbon will not be cut completely. "Essential Carbon Services" will continue to be exempt from the Cap to a large extent.

You say : "Economists recommend auctioning" : not all economists recommend auctioning.

You say :

> Economists recommend auctioning, because that provides government

> revenue which can either (1) be recycled to the population, either on an

> an equal per capita basis or through the tax and benefits system to make

> it more progressive, or (2) be used for mitigating and adapting to

> climate change, or a mixture of (1) and (2)

You have made the basic assumption that Carbon has to be paid for, thereby equating the Value of Carbon with the Value of Money.

Cash recycling is not what is needed here. We need hard and fast Carbon cuts. Carbon Trading  between Corporates is not going to achieve hard and fast Carbon cuts. Extracting revenue from high Carbon businesses is not going to de-Carbonise those businesses.

What needs to be controlled here is Carbon, not Money.

jo.

+44 77 17 22 13 96

http://www.changecollege.org.uk