JiscMail Logo

Help for BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Home

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM Home

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM  October 2008

BIOGRAPHIC-NARRATIVE-BNIM October 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: trainee (and other BNIM) interviewers dealing with emotions - a problematic case (about-PIN) and some suggested procedures

Renee Lertzman <[log in to unmask]>

Renee Lertzman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:16:41 +0100

text/plain

I feel like responding to the issues raised, in part because they relate to my own experiences interviewing, even though I did not stick to a strict BNIM approach.
What I found in interviewing people over three sessions, and using an opening question and then following up key themes in sub-sessions, was that indeed it opened up a lot of space for emotional content. The way I handled this was to help prepare the interviewee, and to check in with them both before and after each interview, and to see if any issues were raised. At one point, when a woman started crying in the first interview, I was able to "hold the space" and allow her to be with her feelings and not push things; I also checked to see if she was alright, and followed up the second session with this to make sure she was OK.

The issue regarding how the interviewer responds to the material is classic counter-transference issues, which arise in any interviewing and most saliently in this sort of narrative, in-depth approach. I have striven to incorporate awareness of counter-transference, both as a research aid (to help me understand what I'm sensing and feeling in relation to the material) and in terms of methodology. That is, if a topic is raised that I find painful, boring, sad, etc etc, I take great notice in this and incorporate it into my analysis. The fact the interviewer was unable to raise this painful topic, based on *her* own difficulties, indicates a lack of awareness of how to manage and handle counter-transferential experiences.

I have found some of the writings in Walkerdine et al, in Growing up Girl, to address how the researchers worked to sort through these various responses to the material raised - and in fact how this was seen as part of the methodology. This is one area which I feel BNIM can benefit greatly, particularly in relation to the panel and a potential lack of reflexivity in terms of what we bring to the analysis - in terms of OUR own lived experiences. Counter-transference is a very powerful tool to help us distance and get clarity on what is "ours" and what is "theirs". There are other resources to help cope with counter-transference in the interview process; for example Duncan Cartwright has a paper on the Psychoanalytic Research Interview which is very useful.

I appreciate Tom's practical advice and noticed that I did apply quite a  lot of the suggestions in my own process last year. I also feel this is an intuitive process, but that doing in-depth psychosocial research requires having a supervisor or resources to draw on. Those with training in clinical work seem to be quite adept at navigating these issues.

I hope this is helpful.
Renee

--
Renee A. Lertzman
PhD Researcher

Mobile: +44 (0) 78 464 47168 | Landline: +44 (0) 29 2040 3174
http://www.reneelertzman.org
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]

>>> tom wengraf <[log in to unmask]> 23/10/08 11:35 AM >>>
I received the email below. We had a phone conversation, and Anneke asked me
to circulate this email to everybody on the BNIM list so that she could
benefit from other people's experiences and ideas. Please help!

  _____