Re: Design as Research?

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:25:29 +0800

text/plain

Hi Ken,

Thanks for an excellent and useful post.

Two aspects of engineering that appear to be starting to blur the boundary
between design and research are:
1. Design drawings that capture all the rationale  explaining the full path
of causal reasoning, i.e. the design contains a full description (available
to researchers to critique) of the searched for knowledge and its reasoned
path to the design.
2. Development of optimisation algorithms that identify the structural
details or morphs of optimal solutions. In this case, the research tool is
the mathematical algorithm that results in the identification of the optimal
solution in a manner that parallels research in physical disciplines. Again
the combination of outcome and algorithm provide sufficient  means to
replicate and test the research process and outcomes.

Yesterday, I attended two lectures by Dr Robin Batterham (until recently
Chief Scientist of Australia). At times in the lectures he talked about
research to identify optimum solutions - some of them were classic design
techniques. At one stage he described a research process that paralleled
Synectics as a means of researching at atomic level the detail of crushing
processes in a ball mill.

The situation gets more intriguing.

Terry