Re: Design as Research?

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:46:43 -0400

text/plain

dear eduardo,

i just followed your use of language.

your speaking about "gathering" suggests the activity (or practice) of
collecting, putting together, taking possession of something that, just as
in the verb "finding" entails, must have been there to begin with.  unlike
what you are suggesting in the current post, the word "gathering" doesn't
designate anything about what you do with what you have gathered.

gathering and finding also are human actions, requiring effort. this would
not be so if you were to say that information hits you, disturbs you,
impresses you.

speaking of "gathering" metaphorically entails that there must be something
there to be gathered or found.  i am not suggesting that pebbles are
information or that information comes in the form of pebbles, but that you
use information as if it were a tangible object, something that is there or
not there to be picked up and processed. i think this epistemology is
strange to say the least.

what about saying that information is created in the process of reading,
that it is a reader's (or researcher's) creation (of certainties where
uncertainties were felt before)?  This would make cognition a creative
process, a process of designing something (reality) to be seen as such.

conceptualizing information as existing to be gathered (by researchers or
designers) is an objectivist stance, i prefer a human-centered stance, one
that does not contradict everything we know about human biology and
sociology

klaus