FISH-TECHNICAL  August 2008

FISH-TECHNICAL August 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: MS Sharepoint collaborative software

Joanne Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Technical advisory panel to the Forum on Information Standards in Heritage." <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:27:56 +0100

text/plain

I agree that the Alfresco documentation isn't easy to find- but if you sign up here http://www.alfresco.com/products/docs/ then you should get access to the straightforward user guide which is fairly easy to follow. If you want alternatives, then knowledgetree is probably worth a look. It's php-based, which is a good thing in my mind! Again it offers enterprise-level support. Documentation is here http://www.knowledgetree.com/documentation.

Regarding uploading shapefiles and other such things- even if you are just using it for collaboration and not long-term storage, you still need to be able to checkout files for use (to ensure that other people are not trying to use them at the same time). So with a shapefile, if the software isn't clever enough to understand that multiple files go together, then you'll have to check out each part of the file separately, download them to your hard drive, use the shapefile, and then check all the parts back in separately too. Geodatabases might get round that issue, assuming your setup will allow mdbs at all, but since they are totally proprietary and horribly version-dependent they are best avoided in my opinion!

Jo

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development
Oxford Archaeology (North)