Re: Kyoto2 : Systems Analysis

jo abbess <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:23:43 +0000

text/plain

Hi Oliver,

I have read your book. It took me about a day. I borrowed it from a contact of mine.

You saw fit to furnish my contact with a couple of "complimentary" (sic) copies through Zed
Books. I shall not question your judgement/judgment as to why him, but not me...

Although much of your writing is admirable, and your rosy-glow summary shows that your
intentions are earnest, your publication contains some errors, not typographical but factual.

Alas, you are deeply mistaken in thinking that the relevant constituencies will sign up to
your proposal for Kyoto2.

Your premise that what effectively amounts to a "windfall tax" will be acceptable to Big Carbon
is sorely awry, particularly since the proceeds would become international property to spend
on things that Big Carbon will not own or control.

Big Carbon will pay for their Carbon Rights, claim that they have fulfilled their duties under the
"Polluter Pays" principle, and then omit the vital next step : de-Carbonising. Why should they
be expected to pay twice for Carbon (even though they will pass on as much of the Carbon cost
to their customers as possible) ?

They will half-Nelson the international fund to finance their de-Carbonising, if they can. Green
Energy will be financed by the Auction Fund, and the new Green Energy infrastructure and
plant will become the property of Big Carbon. They will then hold all the reins again, and
continue to dictate their own terms of engagement.

A few corrections to get you started :-

p110, p237 etc Nation-based arguments
For all your talk early on in the book of taking the Mitigation issue out of the realm of
inter-national negotiations, you slip right back into discussion of national issues. In my mind,
if you auction Carbon Rights to corporations, but assign Carbon Fund benefits to nations,
you will slip up pretty early on.

p159 The Carbon Capture and Storage price myth
You rehearse the argument that CCS is much cheaper to install at the time of new build than
retrofitting. However, a great deal of pipework and other infrastructure will be needed for any
new CCS-fitted plant, wherever that is, and coal-fired power plants are widely distributed, and
invariably far from where CO2 could be buried, so each new installation will need "fresh"
CCS infrastructure.

p161 : The algae myth of Carbon Sequestration
You perpetuate a myth "...to cut deeply into CO2 emissions...fertilize the growth of algae,
which can then be dried and converted into fuel." Sadly, this process, once completed, will
not sequester Carbon, as by burning the algoil, you release the Carbon Dioxide back into
the atmosphere. Basic chemistry.

p245 : The myth of "intermittent" supplies of Renewable Energy
If we can muster a diverse range of Renewable Energy technologies, supply will not be
"intermittent". For tidal energy, it will be highly predictable, for marine energy, almost
constant, and with a wide enough wind power grid, variable, but never silent.

The basic problem for Big Carbon is this : they shall not be able to de-Carbonise sufficiently
and their businesses should be buried. However, a Carbon Rights Auction will keep them in
the ring to fight another round. An Auction of Carbon Rights will ringfence Carbon business,
for a good while longer, which is not what we need.

Setting a price for Carbon is just inventing a new commodity, but not solving the problem.

Let's take the example of the British Government (for once). They insisted that new Nuclear
plant constructors should bear the cost of clean-up, the full cost. This is possibly the most
important idea going forward - the regulation to clean up - giving responsibility to those who
are the source of the pollution. This is "Polluter Pays" in action, not the system you propose,
where there is the usual passing-the-costs-on of a Carbon Auction to end consumers.

The other very important thing that can be done is to move away from "Lowest Cost" contracts
at all levels of national and local government, to "Lowest Carbon" contracts and procurement.

These two things would guarantee de-Carbonisation, Energy Efficiency and a host of new
Renewables, without having to consider a blanket "marketisation" of Carbon.

p97 : You puncture your own argument "Auction - provided the mechanism is well designed
and the auction is open to many bidders - is also the optimal system for securing the full
market price for the permits." But you yourself argue for reducing the number of players in
the Auction, as a means to make it simpler, going "upstream" p90/91

As for the units, I think you'll find that James Hansen et alia specify the safe zone as centred
on 350 ppmv CO2, not CO2 eq (or CO2e) as you state in several places p27 and other pages.

My reference is here :-

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2008/TargetCO2_20080407.pdf
"If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed
and to which life on Earth is adapted, paleoclimate evidence and ongoing climate change
suggest that CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm."

See also here :-
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/10/co2-equivalents/
http://jebin08.blogspot.com/2007/02/21st-century-greenhouse-gas-budget.html
"Sunday, February 04, 2007
Stern uses 450 ppm for all greenhouse gases (carbon equivalent) in his projections...430ppm

(current CO2e)..."
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]
"Sat, 30 Jun 2007 06:18:43 -0700
...current atmospheric concentration at ~430 CO2e..."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/10/carbonemissions

I have more to say, but I'm tired now, so it shall have to be another day.

I will try to find the time to re-read your tome, in order to get more intimate with your trains
of thought. There is some genuinely new stuff in there, but mostly on the lines of the science
and technology. All the stuff about taxation options and capping options is 20 years old...

jo.