CRISIS-FORUM  August 2008

CRISIS-FORUM August 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Geo-Engineering Costs : Re: Geo-Engineering - the new Biofuels?

CHRIS KEENE <[log in to unmask]>

CHRIS KEENE <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Aug 2008 12:17:07 +0100

text/plain

I don't think we should panic, and just go for a geo-engineering
solution without doing research on it.  I don't agree with Jo's
statement 'WE DO NOT HAVE TIME TO WAIT FOR THE RESEARCH RESULTS'.  I
would say 'WE *MAY* NOT HAVE TIME TO WAIT FOR THE RESEARCH RESULTS'. The
science is at the moment too uncertain to say, we might have quite a few
years. And if we just jump into something, like ocean fertilisation, it
may make things even worse, perhaps by acidifying the ocean and making
it even less able to absorb CO2 for example. So we need to do the
research into geo-engineering properly

And when Jo says 'The big research programmes don't have room for
geo-engineering research', shouldn't we be pressing for it?  I bet a
fraction of the world's military budget could find a solution if applied
to geo-engineering research .But what we mustn't do is allow the hope of
a geo-engineering solution to allow people to go on polluting as if a
techno-fix will come to the rescue.

I think what we need to do is press for the solutions that do work to
de-carbonise society - like renewable electricity and passive houses for
example, aiming for zero carbon as fast as is feasible.  How fast this
is is a complicated judgement to make, because it not only entails
questions of technology, but also lifestyle, and therefore involves
judgements of risk as well as moral questions, such as 'Is it acceptable
to have any fun which is not zero carbon, because any other fun you do
have, like flying abroad, increases the risk of harm to others through
causing climate change?'. The Centre for Alternative Technology's Zero
Carbon Britain report <www.zerocarbonbritain.com> suggests 20 years til
we can reach it.

 At the same time we should demand a massive budget for geo-engineering
research, and for this to be completely independent, so no vested
interests are able to push their own solutions

Chris