MCG  July 2008

MCG July 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Who do we need to talk to? Was: Let's crowdsource...

Nick Poole <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:04:59 +0100

text/plain

Jon (and Mia),

Thanks for this useful prompt. You are talking about an advocacy campaign which takes a basic principle (that cultural institutions should have a responsibility to make their data publicly and freely available on the network) and articulates it in terms of the benefits to specific target groups.

It would be a worthwhile exercise to consider who those groups are and the mechanisms by which they can be influenced:

- There is a local case to be made in every single museum, and this case requires bringing the management, the Authority/funder AND curatorial colleagues on board. This usually involves demonstrating how online delivery and participation in large-scale services like Europeana can deliver against local or immediate concerns and KPIs (viz Dylan's earlier point);

- There is a regional case to be made for a FAR better-coordinated digital offering within the Hub context (although I have some concerns about pinning actual infrastructure on the Hubs when they are currently only a medium-term proposition);

- There is a national case to be made to sector organisations such as MLA and DCMS for sustained, longitudinal investment in digital programmes. Almost all digital activity to date has been seed-funded, and we all know how difficult it is to monetise a new digital project independently within 3 years of development;

- There is a broader case to be made within UK Government (ie. DCSF, DIUS, UK Intellectual Property Office) and Europe that not only CAN we develop these systems, we MUST - because the future prosperity of the sector depends on it.

It has to be said that the fundamental argument - that releasing data into the network leads to downstream secondary benefits which outweigh the scope for upstream transactional value - is far from made, even though it is becoming axiomatic in our community. It still looks like an awfully big risk to most managers schooled in the traditional ways of sales and marketing.

The MCG can't hope to cover off all of these angles in a sustained way - proper advocacy requires money and time. But by working with organisations such as Collections Trust, Culture24 and soon Digital Access Scotland to establish some common themes and messages, we can turn it into a much more vocal lobby.

Collections Trust, Culture24 and UKOLN are currently working with the MLA on their Digital Strategy, and one of the interesting corollaries of that process is seeing exactly how remote digital delivery is from mechanisms such as the Museums Accreditation Scheme and Renaissance. I would suggest that this was a prime place to start.

Nick

Nick Poole
Chief Executive
Collections Trust

www.collectionstrust.org.uk
www.collectionslink.org.uk
www.cuturalpropertyadvice.gov.uk

Tel:  01223 316028
Fax:  01223 364658

Company Registration No: 1300565
Reg. Office: 22 Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 1JP.

The Collections Trust believes that everybody, everywhere should have the right to access and benefit from cultural collections. Our aim is to develop programmes and standards which help connect people and culture.

The Collections Trust was launched from its predecessor body, the MDA, in March 2008.