CETIS-ACCESSIBILITY  July 2008

CETIS-ACCESSIBILITY July 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

[Fwd: Re: ACP'08 - the Adaptive Content Processing Conference - 6&7 November 2008]

Andy Heath <[log in to unmask]>

JISC CETIS Accessibility Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:08:31 +0100

text/plain

Adaptive processing conference FYI, some text below
and website on the link.

andy

Hi Andy,

The pdf version of the flyer is to be found on the conference website:

http://www.euain.org/?q=node/10

We have not uploaded the .doc version but I have put it in the body of
this email (below).
Thank you very much for helping us to promote the ACP08 conference!

Best regards,

sabine

*Adaptive Content Processing Conference 2008 (ACP 08)*

*Overview*

We are delighted to invite you to the *ACP08* Conference at the *Beurs
van Berlage *in Amsterdam on the 6th and 7th November 2008. This is an
appropriate location as Amsterdam is the UNESCO World Book Capital
during this year.

The ACP 08 conference is jointly hosted by the EUAIN Network, the
ProAccess Project, DEDICON and the Federation of Dutch Publishers (NUV).

New technologies are changing the way in which we create, produce and
consume content. Over the last few years, the publishing industry in
Europe and beyond has been active in responding to the growing demand
for more accessible, adaptive content. There are a growing number of
reasons for considering access-related issues within publishing
production and value chains. The re-use of structured digital content
provides a sound basis for related activities such as archiving, content
re-aggregation and personalisation. This convergence between production
and consumption is also reflected in new approaches to content
processing which can offer excellent opportunities to open new value
chains and extend existing markets.

We have invited a broad range of key speakers from academia and industry
at many levels to ACP 08 and we hope to cover as many different aspects
of adaptive content processing as possible. In addition to these
presentations there will be hands-on demonstrations of new software and
services. Whether you just want to find out more about this increasingly
important area, or are looking to deepen your knowledge on particular
subjects, we have a programme that should meet your needs. And we are
sure you will make useful new contacts.

*Programme*

There will be a mixture of plenary sessions, short thematic sessions
(1hr) and workshops (2.5hrs). There is the possibility to *suggest ideas
for these sessions* (eg the importance of the World Book Capital, the
Future of the Book, how will we read and create these new media etc).
All suggestions welcomed (see call below). Suggestions for *keynote
speakers* are also welcomed.

*Registration*

Places are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served
basis. The conference fee is 180 Euros and there will be a social dinner
on the evening of the 6th November.

You can register online for the conference:

*http://www.euain.org/acp08*

or by email to: *[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>*

*Call for papers, presentations and thematic sessions*

Sustaining the provision of useful services and meaningful accessible
content can be considered vital to the growth of the Information Society
as a whole. When designing, specifying and building applications and
infrastructures to store accessible content, several apparently
unrelated issues arise. How do we describe the knowledge and
capabilities we possess and capture the repository of resources we can
use to implement these capabilities? How do we describe the questions
and problems of end-users and content providers? How do we marry both
within manageable and consistent frameworks? How do we re-apply this
knowledge and combine these resources with new insights to solve new
problems? How can we accelerate the processes described above and
provide solutions to enable adaptive information processing?

For the ACP 08 Conference we invite *papers* and *presentations* in the
following areas, but papers covering related areas will also be considered:

•  /Adaptive content processing for developers & technicians /

•  /Synchronising new media/

•  /Providing access to complex content/

•  /The Internet of Things & Services /

•  /Creative Information Design/

•  /Access issues for decision-makers/

•  /ACP: Best practice & value chains/

If you would like to propose a *thematic session*, please provide an
overview of the area to be covered and the likely speakers. Proposals
for thematic sessions should be sent by *30 July 2008 *to Sabine Schotel
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

*How to propose a thematic session, paper or presentation*

To submit a paper or presentation, simply follow the instructions on the
conference website at: *http://www.euain.org/acp08*

You should initially submit an abstract of your paper/presentation
outlining the areas you intend to cover. This abstract should be a
*maximum of two pages*. Please send in your abstract for consideration
as soon as possible, but before *15 August 2008* at the latest.
Notification of acceptances or rejections will occur by *30 August
2008*. All participants are required to handle their final registration
and payment before *1 November 2008*.

*Provisional  Programme: Thematic Sessions & Workshops*

*1. Adaptive content processing for developers & technicians *

What do we mean by adaptive content processing? This session will
examine some of the most important concepts and present the key
technical challenges which need to be considered when implementing these
ideas.

*2. The deep*access* Roadmap*

This new roadmap provides a coherent basis for moving from notions of
accessibility to wider notions of adaptivity. This movement reflects the
wider trend towards inclusive mainstream developments and content
personalisation.

*3. Synchronising new media*

Some of the most exciting ideas for new products and services have as
their basis the re-formulation of existing content. This session will
present some innovative approaches and examine new ways to synchronise
different types of content.

*4. Providing access to complex content*

Content of all kinds is becoming increasingly complex and this presents
challenges to all of us as users. This session will highlight some
innovative strategies for bringing together and navigating newly
emerging complex content.

*5. The Internet of Things & Services *

The ‘/Internet of Things and Services/’ is based on the possibility of
seamless integration of physical objects and services via automatic
identification of things, service selection and composition, resolution
and invocation of services.

*6. Creative Information Design*

The work of ‘/creative information designers/’ is becoming ever more
important in the digital age. This is manifested in the content we
consume on a daily basis over the internet or via the music industry,
the gaming industry or the publishing world.

*7. Access issues for decision-makers*

This session seeks to provide a focal point for discussing our emerging
information design and consumption needs and to point towards
cross-disciplinary ideas for use within both traditional and newly
emerging industry value chains.

*8. ACP: Best practice & value chains*

This session seeks to provide a focal point for discussing our emerging
information design and consumption needs and to point towards
cross-disciplinary ideas for use within both traditional and newly
emerging industry value chains.

*9. Hands On Training Workshop*

Several major software vendors have recently enhanced their products for
accessible content processing and this session will provide detailed,
hands-on training for everyone interested in upgrading their production
environments.

*10. The DAISY Workshop*

The DAISY consortium has been at the forefront of developing new ways to
transform content so that people with different impairments can have
access to that content. This workshop will present the key lessons
learned and the way forward.

/NB: The provisional programme is subject to change. See
/http://www.euain.org/?q=node/18 for latest version.//