ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  June 2008

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC June 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

thoughts on bias and public response to your work in the mainstream

David and Jasmine <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:13:11 +1000

text/plain

Just a bit of soul searching in the light of responses to my book.

Not a particularly in depth set of thoughts here, more just a mulling
over ideas.

I recently wrote a book on the history of the Pagan revival in a history
of ideas approach ie how the images associated with witchcraft developed
into the modern array of representations we see in today's pagan
revival.  Being out there with public responses and main stream media
interviews etc is somewhat new to me in this respect and I am trying to
come to terms with it professionally and personally.

I've had a rather large burst of commentary of 3 kinds.  Firstly I've
had a lot of  the "this is so fantastic and so needed to be written and
is fair to all sides"  response from reconstructionists.  Secondly I've
had a lot perjorative "this is evil approach your just like the b--tch
Tania Luhrman" from the more new agey and feminist oriented neo-Pagans.
(Indeed I've been pejoratively linked to Tania Lurhman, Ronald Hutton
and Talcott Parson's in this.  Funnily enough I really like Hutton and
Luhrman).  Finally, I've had a few local  initiated Alexandrian and
Gardnerian Wiccan's have generally come up to me and said something
along the lines of I agree with this but really disagreed with that and
wanted a discussion with me on it whcih I am more than happy to do.  I
had a lot of really informative and entertaining to and fro debates this
way lately.  (I've also had a range of responses from Christians of the
informed intellectual kind to rather right wing manichaen diatribes
about Satanism.)

This had me thinking about my own predilections and how this emerges in
my writing.  I  strongly lean towards  reconstructionism as a
practitioner and to be soul searchingly honest a lot of this comes about
socially through loving the gatherings  and having these fantastic in
depths discussions on Saxon, Greek or what have you history with people
I find I see ideologically, historically and culturally very eye to eye
with.  Conversely, I tend to find myself feeling very irritated and
tired at more fluffy gatherings where I can't help myself but start
picking holes in the historical representations and becoming very
wearied by primma donna posturing, a lot of blatant fabrications
personally and collectively and a somewhat reactionary response to the
sue of supernaturalism in social game playing which personally brings up
scars from a pentecostal/fundamentalist upbringing I would rather not
revisit.  I've found, personally, the local traditionalist initiated
wiccans and reconstructionists seem to be much less prone to the more
negative aspects of pagan gatherings I've participated in.  Of course
this largely group and personality dependent as there are plenty of
strange recons and trad' wiccans out there I've just been fortunate
enough to not have much to do with them.

This kind of personal influence is something I've seen very strongly in
works, particularly anthropologically studies.  It reminds me of Julie
Stephen's commentary on the 60's about the reluctance of people to
discuss or bring up negative issues of serious critique of events which
connected with people emotionally.  This is something I've long found
frustrating in contemporary Pagan studies where you'll get lines like
"People are free to play with the past as they will to make empowering
narratives" and not dealing with the experience of being stuck in a room
with a bunch of pathological liars on supreme supernaturalist ego
trips.  Its interesting reflecting on the way i do the same thing albeit
with a different community and what that means in tersm of trying to
engage in research.  I don't think the whole dissolution of the
etic/emic divide and giving up on historical objectivity all together is
a resolution to this but a reflective theoretical approach to one's own
analysis is quite beneficial.  I quite admire Dianne Purkiss in this
regard as I think she does it exceedingly well.

Its funny though on an odd note I was engaged (outside of my work
activities) assisting a friend doing medieval classes at schools (ie
have all my Armour on and do some metal weapon displays etc and talk
about medieval law and punishment etc) and a heathen friend of mine
starts off with a long speach about our heathen ancestry and so on
leading to some comments hovering on the border of racism regarding the
English and non-English students about their ancestry etc and then
thanked me as Dr David Waldron and I instantly had the thought something
along the lines of "Sh-te what have you just professionally associated
me with!!@!"

Anyway to cut to the chase I was wondering if people had any insights on
this sort of thing and your own experiences with differentiating between
your academic and practitioners hat and your own biases and even dealing
with being a author who gets a lot of people of facebook and email
sending you many many commentaries etc good and bad etc.

Cheers
David