FW: ROXY Screenings from 21st Feb

Hedley Roberts <[log in to unmask]>

Announcement list for Visual Arts Practice <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:10:14 -0000

text/plain (266 lines) , image019.jpg (266 lines) , image017.jpg (266 lines) , image015.jpg (266 lines) , image014.jpg (266 lines) , image012.jpg (266 lines) , image001.jpg (266 lines) , image003.jpg (266 lines) , image004.jpg (266 lines) , image005.jpg (266 lines) , image006.jpg (266 lines) , image007.jpg (266 lines) , image002.jpg (266 lines) , image003.jpg (266 lines) , image004.jpg (266 lines) , image005.jpg (266 lines) , image006.jpg (266 lines)

-----Original Message-----
From: Roxy Bar & Screen on behalf of Phil - Roxy Bar & Screen
Sent: Wed 20/02/2008 1:41 PM
To: Roxy Bar & Screen
Subject: ROXY Screenings from 21st Feb

Thursday 21st Feb  Roxy Presents.

*          7:30pm (A dog barks) shorts screening

One of our favourite shorts nights returns with the usual selection of the
best short film and music video from around the world curated by London
based production company (A dog barks).

Films selected for the evening's programme include the stunning animation Jo
Jo in the Stars by director Marc Craste winner of the 2004 Bafta for Best
Animated Short Film. Also showing is the magical music video for Devendra
Banhart's A Ribbon by Lauri Faggioni and Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of
a Spotless Mind, Science of Sleep).  Semiconductor will be showing their new
scientific short Magnetic Movie which explores the secret lives of magnetic
fields at a Nasa Laboratory. The perfect English arcadia gives way to
varying kinds of misfortune, disruption and violence in Who Killed Brown Owl
winner of Best British Short Film at the Edinburgh Film Festival directed by
Desperate Optimists Joe Lawlor and Christine Molloy. The evening's programme
also features an exclusive preview of Turin Break's new music video by
Shelly Love ahead of its official UK premiere at Birds Eye View Film
Festival.

The screening will be followed by music from DJ Chrissy H.

(Free entry)

Friday 22nd Feb   Live at Roxy. Jazz

More from our fabulous house group the Black Hat Band.  From around 10:30pm.

Saturday 23rd Feb   Live at Roxy. Six Nations Rugby

*          3pm Wales vs Italy

*          5pm Ireland vs Scotland

*          8pm France vs England

Please note, we are not taking any bookings / reservations for these games.
First-come first-served only.

Sunday 24th Feb  Live at Roxy.

*          5pm  Biddie

Biddie returns for Sunday afternoon cabaret!  Our "uncrowned king of the
cabaret circuit" will once again be entertaining with his fabulous crooning
and comedy...

Join us for Sunday lunch and show around 5pm.

(Tickets £7.50 on the door)

*          8pm  La Vie En Rose  (Dahan 07)

The surprise success story of the BAFTAS, La Vie En Rose is a colourful
biopic, charting Piaf's spectacular rise from homelessness to the dizzying
heights of international success and acclaim, before succumbing to addiction
and an untimely death.  Cotillard is stunning as the determined, driven Piaf
in Olivier Dahan's impressive movie, and although certain political periods
were skipped over in the film, this is nonetheless one of the best musical
bio-pics of recent years.

(£3 cover charge)

Monday 25th Feb  Recent Release - Oscar Nominations

*          8pm Ratatouille  (Bird / Pinkava 07)

Nominated (and favourite) to win the Best Animation Oscar, we screen a slice
of pure animated fun and entertainment, as Remy the rat with his love of
gastronomy takes on the French restaurants with a little help from kitchen
porter Linguini.  Ok, so some of the plot requires a leap of faith
occasionally, but hey, it's got a talking rat in it, what were you
expecting?  Come for the stunning Pixar animation, the fabulous atmosphere
and settings and great characters, especially Peter O'Toole's film-stealing
turn as the food critic, which finishes the film on a glorious high.

(£3 cover charge)

Tuesday 26th Feb  Roxy Presents. Club Filmosophy

Another great film for our regular Club Filmosophy - an evening dedicated to
revealing the thinking behind great filmmaking and supported by Tartan
Video. Hosted by Daniel Frampton, the night begins with a short introduction
to the film, then afterwards the audience are invited to take part in a free
flowing discussion.

*          7:30pm Red Squirrel  (Medem 93)

An early film from Spanish director Julio Medem (Lovers of the Arctic
Circle, Sex and Lucia) Red Squirrel tells the story of Jota, a failed
musician whose girlfriend has recently left him, who is about to commit
suicide by jumping off a bridge when a girl on a motorcycle crashes off it.
He discovers she has lost her memory, even forgetting her name. After
telling the paramedics and staff at the hospital that she is his girlfriend,
he later tells her the same. He invents an entire identity for her, giving
her the name Lisa and a history of their relationship according to his own
fantasies. He then takes her out of the hospital and away on a trip to the
'Red Squirrel' campsite. But her psychotic ex-boyfriend Felix is not far
behind.

Tonight's film will be introduced by Jo Evans, lecturer at University
College London, and author of Julio Medem (Grant and Cutler, 2007). Daniel
Frampton is the founding editor of the salon-journal Film-Philosophy (est.
1996), and the author of Filmosophy (Wallflower Press, 2006).

(Free entry)

Sunday 2nd Mar  Fantasy Double-Bill

*          2pm  The City of Lost Children (Caro 95)

*          5pm  Pan's Labyrinth  (Del Toro 06)

We've been wanting to play the utterly fantastic Pan's Labyrinth for longer
than any other film, and now finally have the chance to with our new
licensing system (the downside being we now have to charge for recent
releases to cover costs....).   So, here you are.  8pm.  Don't be late.  Or
better still, arrive for 5pm, and see one of the early films from Jeunet (he
who went on to Amelie fame) and Caro, two of Belgium's most (only...?!)
talented and distinctive writer / director teams.

As with Pan's Labyrinth, The City of Lost Children is wildly imaginative,
vivid storytelling with 'One', the strongman battling "Krank" the evil
scientist and stealer of children's dreams.  A dark, surreal and sinister
work and certainly not a kid's film.  If you liked Pan's Labyrinth or Terry
Gilliam's work - Brazil particularly, this is a must see.

(£3 cover charge)

Sunday 2nd Mar  Live at Roxy.  Stand-up Comedy

*          7:30pm  Lucy Watson in the Robin Hood Investigation

Something a bit different for your Sunday evening, with a special preview of
a new show from Australian comic Lucy Watson.  More information on the
<http://www.roxybarandscreen.com/listings.php?event=510> website

(£3 cover charge)

Monday 3rd Mar  Recent Release - Oscar Nominations

*          8pm Eastern Promises  (Cronenberg 06)

The latest thriller from David Cronenberg, he of Scanners / Crash / The Fly
fame.  Those horror years seem to be far behind him though, with a current
move towards more conventional, yet violent films, particularly the recent
excellent History of Violence and now Eastern Promises, both starring the
fabulous Viggo Mortensen.

Penned by Dirty Pretty Things screenwriter Steven Knight, the film covers
similar London underbelly territory though possibly suffers from a similar
lack of cinematic depth or scope.  What the script does offer Cronenberg is
a chance to explore familiar dark themes of oppression, physicality and
violence, which he does with relish.  Come also for Viggo's tour-de force
Oscar-nominated performance, which holds the film together in its
understated power and control.

(£3 cover charge)

Roxy Bar & Screen

128-132 Borough High Street, SE1

 <http://www.roxybarandscreen.com/> www.roxybarandscreen.com

Please note, venue is over-18 only

You have received this email because your address is on our e-list database
to receive regular updates about screenings at Roxy Bar & Screen.  We will
not pass on your email address to any 3rd parties.

If you wish to be removed from the e-list or have received this email in
error, please reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject.  Thankyou.

http://www.eset.com