BMLA  February 2008

BMLA February 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Non-binding Guide to the Artificial Optical Radiation Directive

Harry Moseley <[log in to unmask]>

British Medical Laser Association <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:37:48 +0000

text/plain

Dear John,

I gave a presentation on Medical Implications of the Artificial Optical Radiation Directive at NPL last summer.

My conclusions were

For high risk sources, the Directive should not impact significantly in the medical sector.
(because most hospitals have policies to deal with these sources)

For low risk sources, hospitals will need to demonstrate compliance with the Directive.
(in other words more paper work)

Regards
Harry

>>> John OHagan <[log in to unmask]> 01/02/2008 22:19 >>>
Matt

Thank you for this information. We are building up quite a list. Of course, the main question is - are the exposure limits likely to be exceeded by workers?

John
----
John O'Hagan
Health Protection Agency

Williamson Matt <[log in to unmask]> wrote: John
You should add:

transilluminators used in pathology labs. They are "light" boxes that
are fitted with fluorescent tubes that emit at 360nm or 310nm. They
choose which depending on what type of fluorescent labels they have
attached to tissues and wish to stimulate.

blue light bilirubin sources to treat jaundiced neonates.

Matt Williamson
Laser Protection
Medical Physics & Engineering
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust