Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Screening of children

Mark Burton <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:17:29 +0000

text/plain

I shan't comment (much) on the substantive debate except to suggest that
Habermas's distinction between different 'knowledge interests' is
potentially helpful in understanding the nature of the disagreement (and
others that have cropped up on the list from time to time).
Habermas is a ‘critical modernist’ who rejects the relativism of post
structuralist / post modernist theory . Instead, like the critical
realists he tries to put knowledge claims on a secure basis while
rejecting the errors of positivism.
There are two versions of Habermas's thesis and I'll use the earlier one:-
He argues that there are three types of knowledge that relate to three
different knowledge constitutive interests:-

1. the ‘technical’ interest, expressed through the natural sciences and
concerned with technical or instrumental knowledge and means-ends
rationality;
2. the ‘practical’ interest, expressed through the ‘historical /
hermeneutic’ disciplines, and concerned with the understanding of
meaning through the attainment of consensus;
and
3. the ‘emancipatory’ interest, expressed through the critical human and
social sciences, and concerned with release from arbitrary power,
initially through self-reflection.

The protagonists in this debate on children and screening could be
talking about different kinds of knowledge -and thereby not really
communicating. Where it gets interestingly is when we try to tease out
the different elements - the pro-screeners might be right technically,
maybe practically (the term has a special meaning here). The
anti-screeners may be right in relation to emancipation but not in
relation to the other two.
But I doubt it. Rather than each camp mapping neatly on to one or other
of the knowledge constitutive interests, there are technical, practical
and emancipatory claims in each argument, but in different combinations.
What this break down of knowledges/interests does ask us to do, though
is to be precise about the nature of the claims being made in each case.

Oh OK, I'll state my view: some times screening helps and sometimes it
doesn't - it depends on the nature of the thing screened for, the
interventions that follow, and the power relations that surround it.
Some things are worth screening for, some aren't and sometimes it leads
to worse problems - it depends.

By the way - I don't suggest you take Habermas as your guide, any more
than Foucault (or Popper!) - both are significantly flawed, but they can
help us to read some aspects of what is going on in the complex mess
that we try to navigate.