Re: Latest PAR text revisions

Mikael Nilsson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:37:21 +0100

text/plain

mån 2007-11-26 klockan 10:34 -0400 skrev Stephen Downes:
> Hiya,
>
> I would recommend making allowances for changes to the LOM specification
> by incorporating a reference to possible successors or amendments to the
> P1484.12.1 standard.

I think the Scope and purpose themselves are independent of any
revisions to LOM, even though the content of the specs will likely need
adaption to new versions. Of course, if a new version of LOM comes out
that is based directly on the DCAM, then the Scope and Purpose as
currently formulated become completely obsolete. But I don't see how we
can accomodate that possibility... :-)

> It would also be nice to see this body look at expressions of LOM in
> other syndication metadata, most specifically RSS and Atom, and not just DC.

Well, yes. Not as part of this specific piece of work, which has a very
specific purpose, though.

I'm all for using this community as a forum for such discussions,
though. Anything in particular you want to do? :-)

/Mikael

> [...]
> > Metadata (LOM) instances in terms compatible with the Dublin Core
> > Abstract Model (DCAM). The Recommended Practice describes how to use the
> > definitions of metadata terms defined by the IEEE LTSC P1484.12.x
> > "Standard for Resource Description Framework (RDF) vocabulary for IEEE
> > LOM Data Elements" for expressing metadata conforming to LOM in Dublin
> > Core metadata. While this Recommended Practice includes a description of
> > how to combine the specified terms so that metadata instances conforming
> > to this Recommended Practice also conform to the IEEE LOM Standard, it
> > does not address the issue of expressing DCAM elements in LOM terms.
> >
> > Purpose:
> > There is an increasing demand for interoperable definitions of Dublin
> > Core metadata terms and IEEE LOM data elements which allow these to be
> > used together in metadata instances. This Recommended Practice addresses
> > this requirement by describing how to use IEEE LOM and Dublin Core terms
> > together in Dublin Core metadata instances. This represents a partial
> > and short-term solution to the overall issue of metadata
> > interoperability in learning, education, and training contexts. , The
> > Recommended Practice also aims to inform the longer-term process of
> > trying to align the abstract models of IEEE LOM and DCAM, as it will
> > provide an analysis of fundamental incompatibilities between the two
> > models.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Title: Standard for Resource Description Framework (RDF) vocabulary for
> > IEEE LOM Data Elements
> >
> > Scope:
> > This Standard defines a Resource Description Framework (RDF) vocabulary
> > for data elements from the IEEE LTSC P1484.12.1 Learning Object
> > Metadata (LOM)standard. The Standard makes use of modeling primitives
> > from the RDF Vocabulary Description Language (RDF Schema) and the Dublin
> > Core Abstract Model(DCAM). The Standard includes the specification of
> > RDF terms, including properties, classes, vocabularies, syntax encoding
> > schemes and vocabulary encoding schemes, that may be used for
> > expressing RDF metadata using LOM data elements and vocabularies. The
> > recommendation includes the specification of URIs to
> > use for the terms. The Standard does not define new terms for data
> > elements that can be appropriately expressed using sufficiently stable,
> > existing RDF vocabularies (notably Dublin Core). This Standard does not
> > address the construction of conforming IEEE LOM metadata instances using
> > RDF technology.
> >
> > Purpose:
> > There is an increasing demand for interoperable definitions of IEEE LOM
> > data elements which allow these elements to be used in applications
> > using Semantic Web technologies such as the Resource Description
> > Framework (RDF). This Standard will form an important basis for making
> > IEEE LOM metadata terms useful in this larger metadata context.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose