Re: PAR formulation

Phil Barker <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:33:57 +0000

text/plain

Hello.
I think I see what Dan is driving at with his main point, but I think it
needs some thinking about and clarification.

To be pedantic, there is no informal mapping to the DCAM in 1484.12.1.
There can't be since the DC Abstract Model wasn't available in 2002.
There is a mapping between 1484.12.1 and the "Simple" Dublin Core
Element Set.  That's fine, since both  define element sets. It's not
clear to me how you would map from the Abstract Model to 1484.12.1. So
my question is, Dan, do you mean a mapping showing how any DC term
defined in accordance with the DCAM can be mapped to the 1484.12.1 or
just some?  (Supplementary question:  if you mean some, then which?)

I'm trying to understand how much extra work would be involved. Clearly
some of the reverse mappings would immediately drop out of the LOM ->
DCAM mapping; some LOM->DC mappings  might be "lossy" and so not give a
reverse mapping (which would be useful to document); some DC-LOM
mappings might need new LOM elements to be coined.

Phil.

--
Phil Barker                            Learning Technology Adviser
     ICBL, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences