Re: exchange pieces and time structures

Bruce Wands <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:01:18 +0100

text/plain

Hi All,
I wanted to add a few thoughts to Verina's comments about At the Edge of Art and the historical,
scientific, thematic and genre based approaches to media art. Jon Ippolito and Joline Blais make a
point in their book that the art world in general has had a difficult time connecting to the new
forms of art. There are many reasons. Digital art does not easily fit into traditional art categories
or genres, so that museums have a hard time figuring out where it should reside. This is also true
for art historians. There is a growing number of new media curators at museums, but I feel that is
not where the real problem lies. Traditional art forms, such as print and scultpure have been
revolutionized by the expanded range of creative expression that the digital world offers. Yet,
many traditional curators do not like to make a distinction between traditional and digital, i.e. a
print is a print, etc. One other thought is that we need to rewrite art history. That was a big reason
why I wrote Art of the Digital Age. Making art with technology was largely dismissed by traditional
art establishments until only the last decade or so. I felt that those who had laid the foundation for
media art needed to be recognized and documented. A lot of credit needs to go to Thames &
Hudson and the MIT Press for their support of publishing books on new forms of art. Books help
to define and establish this work, as well as the artists in them. While the journal Leonardo has
been around since the 1960s, it has a niche audience. The recent increase in books about digital
art has been helpful for all involved. One final thought, which relates to this, as well as the issues
of engagement and curating this type of work is the generational issue. Young artists are growing
up in a world where digital literacy is taken for granted, and they do not see making art with
technology as unusual. They also have a more facile sense of interaction and engagement with
digital art and technology. People who have not grown up with computers have a different
sensibility. In many of the shows that I have curated, the issue of signage and creating an
environment where people feel comfortable interacting with the work are very important. I also
remember some discussion about interfaces. David Rokeby's Giver of Names works so well on
many levels. His piece Very Nervous System was an interactive sound installation with a simple and
elegant video motion tracking interface. Rokeby wanted it to be intuitive. Golan Levin's Audiovisual
Environment Suite also focused on the notion of an almost transparent interface. When we
exhibited the work in Madrid, we had a pedestal in the middle of a room with only the mouse on
it. The video was projected on the wall. By only having the mouse there, it was obvious to visitors
that they should move the mouse and see what happened. In this case, no signage was needed. I
do feel that more complicated works do need some type of orientation signage. The dilemma that
arises is that if signage is needed, then is the work really successful. Should people be able to "get
it" without it. Getting back to my earlier point, the level of interaction and engagement does
depend on a level of digital literacy that is different for people of varying ages.