JiscMail Logo

Help for WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY Archives

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY Archives

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY Archives

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY Home

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY Home

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY  September 2007

WOMEN-AND-SOCIAL-POLICY September 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

CFP: The Art of Gender V

Anderson Center <[log in to unmask]>

Anderson Center <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:28:29 -0600

text/plain

September 14, 2007

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of the Conference Committee, I am pleased to announce a call for
papers for a multidisciplinary conference, The Art of Gender in Everyday
Life V, to take place at Idaho State University (ISU), March 6 & 7, 2008.
In addition to sessions, the conference will include: a keynote, "No More
Tears:  On the Persistence of Melodrama in Representing Women's Lives," by
Dr. Tania Modleski, Florence R. Scott Professor of English at the University
of Southern California, on the evening of Thursday, March 6; a Friday, March
7, lunchtime talk, “Mind-Body Equality” by ISU faculty member, athlete and
businesswoman, Dr. Lori Head; and a screening of LUNAFEST on Friday evening.

The Conference Committee invites abstracts from university faculty and staff
as well as from graduate and advanced undergraduate students.  ALL
submissions related to the art of living gendered lives will be considered.
This year, given our speakers, we are especially interested in submissions
that address gender and the arts (including the presentation of gendered
performances, films, etc., as well as academic papers) gender and popular
culture, and gender and the body.  Abstracts must be postmarked by November
5, 2007.

This conference is an occasion to showcase current work being done in the
area of gender studies.  Participants from past years have consistently
commented on the friendly atmosphere at The Art of Gender in Everyday Life
conferences, and it is our principal mission to continue our tradition of
creating a collegial, supportive and nurturing environment for the
discussion of gender issues across the disciplines.

The Art of Gender in Everyday Life V is a special opportunity to network
with colleagues in the relaxed setting of Pocatello, Idaho, nestled in the
picturesque Bannock Range of the Rocky Mountains.  We are pleased to
announce that this year, for the first time in the history of the
conference, participants will have the opportunity to register for a day
trip to near-by Lava Hot Springs.  Those taking part in the trip will
experience a day of relaxation in the naturally-occurring mineral hot
springs, the temperatures of which range from 102-112 degrees.  More
information about Lava Hot Springs is available at
<http://www.lavahotsprings.com/hotpools.html>.

Please find attached a formal call for papers, an announcement of our
student paper competition, and a registration form.  Should you prefer not
to open an attachment, these documents are included immediately following
this letter and can also be found on our website at
<http://www.isu.edu/andersoncenter>.  On behalf of the entire Conference
Committee, I invite you to join us for this important event.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Morrow, Ph.D.
Director
Anderson Gender Resource Center

THE ART OF GENDER IN EVERYDAY LIFE V
A Multidisciplinary Conference

CALL FOR PAPERS

Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
March 6 & 7, 2008

ABSTRACT POSTMARK DEADLINE: Monday, November 5, 2007

Gender is not a given.  Its meaning and significance are constantly in flux.
This conference will explore the various ways in which gender is crafted,
celebrated, endured, deciphered, expressed or, in short, the art of how it
is lived on a daily basis.

ALL submissions related to the art of living gendered lives will be
considered.
* Given our keynote speakers, the committee is especially interested in
submissions that address the following:

GENDER AND THE ARTS (including: the presentation of gendered performances,
films, etc., as well as academic papers)

GENDER IN POPULAR CULTURE
GENDER AND THE BODY

* The committee is also especially interested in receiving submissions from
graduate and advanced undergraduate students.  The committee will hold a
student paper competition and award prizes for the graduate and
undergraduate submissions they select.

PRESENTATION FORMATS: Presentations may take several different formats,
including: papers (resulting from group work or individuals); slide
presentations; films; readings; and performances. Presentations should be no
longer than 20 minutes in duration.

Complete panels can also be submitted.  Panel submissions will only be
considered, however, if the following information is included: cover sheets
and abstracts for a complete group of four participants; and the specific
question to be addressed.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Submissions will be accepted BY POST ONLY.
Please enclose the following items for the committee’s consideration:

1.	an ABSTRACT of no more than 300 words
The title should appear clearly at the top of the abstract; the presenter’s
name should not appear on the abstract.  No changes to either the title or
abstract can be made following submission.
2.	a COVER SHEET with the following information: presenter’s name;
presentation title; presentation format; institutional affiliation
(including department) and academic status; phone number, street and email
addresses; A/V needs; and a 50 word bio
3.	a CD or DISK with both the abstract and cover sheet as Microsoft Word
documents (as abstracts, affiliation, email addresses and bios will be
reproduced in a booklet for all presenters)
4.	a REGISTRATION FORM AND CHECK for the registration fee for each presenter
made out to the Anderson Center; this fee will help us to cover conference
expenses including meal costs and admission for both the keynote speaker,
Dr.Tania Modleski, and LUNAFEST.
           PLEASE NOTE: If the abstract is not accepted, this check will be
destroyed.

Send all materials to:
Anderson Gender Resource Center
Idaho State University, Stop 8141
Pocatello, ID  83209-8141
Attn: 	The Art of Gender in Everyday Life V Committee

PLEASE NOTE: Should your abstract be accepted, you will be required to
provide a draft of your paper by NO LATER THAN JANUARY 14, 2008, so that
your session discussant will have time to review your work.
Also, if your abstract is accepted, you will be subscribed to the listserv
[log in to unmask], and you will receive all updates via email from that
account.

QUESTIONS?  Email us at: [log in to unmask] or check out our website at
www.isu.edu/andersoncenter

	THE ART OF GENDER IN EVERYDAY LIFE V
A Multidisciplinary Conference
March 6 & 7, 2008, at Idaho State University
PRESENTER REGISTRATION FORM

_____	I plan to present
			Please include $55
(includes a ticket to the Friday, March 7, screening of LUNAFEST)

_____	I plan to attend a networking dinner on Thursday, March 6
			Please include $15

_____	I plan to attend lunch with a talk by Dr. Lori Head on Mind-Body
Equality on 	Friday, March 7
			Please include $10

_____	I would like transportation to and from Lava Hot Springs on Saturday,
March 8
			Please include $12
			(admission to the pools and lunch are not included)

Total amount enclosed: _____

Please mail this form along with your check and other required materials to:
Anderson Gender Resource Center
Idaho State University Stop 8141
Pocatello, ID  83209-8141

The postmark deadline is November 5, 2007.

For more information, contact us via phone at 208-282-2805, [log in to unmask]
or check out our website at www.isu.edu/andersoncenter

STUDENT PAPER COMPETITION

Awards:  The Conference Committee will award two separate prizes (one
undergraduate and one graduate) of $150.  Additional Director’s Prizes of
$25 each may be awarded at the Committee’s discretion.

Competition guidelines:
•	The paper must be presented by the author at the March 2008, Art of Gender
in Everyday Life V conference at Idaho State University in Pocatello, ID.
•	The paper may be from any discipline.
•	The paper must be given in English.
•	Only the version of the paper that is actually read at the conference is
eligible. The paper should be approximately 8-12 pages, double-spaced,
exclusive of bibliography. The abstract and bibliography should be included
with the paper.
•	Five hard copies and a CD/disk containing the conference version of the
paper must be presented at the registration desk by 9am on Friday, March 7.
They should be addressed to: Rebecca Morrow - Student Paper Competition. NO
LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
•	A cover page must be attached with the following information: the author's
name, institutional affiliation (including department), divisional status
(graduate or undergraduate) and email address; the name, address, and
telephone number of the student's advisor; and the name of the session where
the paper was or is to be presented.
•	Shared authorship papers are eligible provided that the category in which
they are entered (i.e. undergraduate or graduate) is that appropriate for
the most senior author. Papers co-authored with professionals are not
eligible for the student paper competition.
•	All papers submitted by undergraduates must be accompanied by a note from
the student's advisor indicating that the work is original and that the
professor believes it to be appropriate for presentation at the conference.

Judging:  A panel of judges from a variety of disciplines will blind review
submissions. The panel will employ standard scholarly criteria in making its
awards.
For information about the conference, consult our website,
www.isu.edu/andersoncenter.
Questions about the competition or the conference can be directed to

Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo!
http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_hotmailtextlink1