PHD-DESIGN  August 2007

PHD-DESIGN August 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Interdisciplinary Discourse and Knowledge Ecologies

Wolfgang Jonas <[log in to unmask]>

Wolfgang Jonas <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:44:10 +0200

text/plain

Thanks Klaus!

And welcome back all to the "swampy lowlands",
which - in design - were probably first mentioned
by Donald Schön (1983: 42):

"The dilemma of "rigor or relevance" arises more
acutely in some areas of practice than in others.
In the varied topography of professional
practice, there is a high, hard ground where
practitioners can make effective use of
research-based theory and technique, and there is
a swampy lowland where situations are confusing
"messes" incapable of technical solutions. The
difficulty is that the problems of the high
ground, however great their technical interest,
are relatively unimportant to clients or to the
larger society, while in the swamp are the
problems of greatest human concern. ..."

I am smiling in the back, since meanwhile this
debate reminds me of the fierce struggles more
than 5 years ago on this list and elsewhere about
(existing or not-existing) design foundations.
Extensive and unhurried feedback (learning?)
cycles are showing up. From swamps to wetlands to

Best wishes,
Jonas

Wolfgang Jonas (2003) "Mind the gap!  - on
knowing and not-knowing in design. Or: there is
nothing more theoretical than a good practice",
in Proceedings of EAD05: Design Wisdom - techné,
the European Academy of Design, Barcelona, Spain,
28 -30 April 2003

Schön, Donald A. (1983) The Reflective
Practitioner. How Professionals Think in Action
Basic Books